What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A/C overhead console choice

I'm looking to purchase a Airflow Systems a/c unit for my RV-10. I've considered the SFSA unit as well, but after surveying owners with a/c I'm inclined to proceed with the Airflow Systems unit. I asked Bill at Airflow Systems about which overhead console to use and being non-committal he said there are several out there. I understand not wanting to show favoritism to other brands.

I can only find 2 consoles to chose from. First, is the carbon fiber console from Aerosport Products. Second, is a fiberglass console from South Florida Sport Aviation. Are there others out there?

Please let me know you're using and why you would or would not use that console again. Thanks in advance for your help.

Did Bill explain that it is optional with his system to direct air into an overhead console? His system uses a baggage bulkhead supply manifold. It's your choice if you want to direct some of that air into an overhead console.

My system is not yet installed but after speaking with Bill and Ashley and seeing their test data, I chose to go with only the bulkhead manifold, despite my plane already having an Aerosport overhead console installed.

Everyone has an opinion…….

One feature that was a requirement of my ex-wife, and that I found over the last ten years of flying the RV-10, is that people like cold air in their face. The only way to effectively do that is with an overhead console.

I may be biased, but my preference is for the Aerosport overhead console.

I ended up using the Aerosport Products overhead console. I would use it again. But I cannot speak for the South Florida Sport Aviation console, I am sure it does the job well.

Remember that with the Console air you will have a total of 5 air vents. 4 adjustable air vents per seat and 1 bulkhead vent that is always open.

Cold:
When at altitude with lower OAT you will turn the compressor off and just run the fan of the AC to circulate the air in the cockpit, so the overheard is not just for when the AC compressor is working.

Heat:
When heating the cockpit the AC fan helps spread the heat out evenly. I found that when flying alone I like to use the back heat with the fan running, the heat is evenly spread in the cockpit.

One other point to consider. I opted to canceling the back NACA vent to run air as I use the fan for that. It eliminated a body cut. I also eliminated the rear outside air vents because of the AC Fan System.

Something to consider, it's not for everyone obviously.

Everyone has an opinion…people like cold air in their face. The only way to effectively do that is with an overhead console.

Exactly! There is a lot to learn from the automobile industry since the first air conditioner was introduced (Packard, 1939). The goal of an air conditioning system is to establish the feeling of comfort for the vehicle occupants. This goes beyond simply delivering cooling capacity in BTUs per hour, or achieving a specific cabin temperature. That first Packard system was trunk mounted and delivered cooled air from the rear of the interior, essentially like a rear bulkhead system in an aircraft. Many other configurations have been tried, such as outlets around the perimeter of the roof, onto the floors, through channels in the doors, etc. Finally automakers determined that comfort is best achieved with cooled air directed at the front of body, with movable vents so each occupant could adjust the airflow to their liking. Today that’s the way it’s done from Kia to Rolls-Royce. Biggest Bang per BTU!

So if I was air conditioning an RV, I’d first try to figure out how to get the air to come out vents in the instrument panel. Of course that’s really complicated, as it is in a car. Just ask anyone who designs car interiors how complicated the air conditioning makes the instrument panel. After pondering that for a while I’d probably come to my senses and go the overhead console route. Almost as good and much simpler.

Maurice.

Last edited:
If you are hoping for a lot of airflow through the overhead console, don't put any obstructions into the console. I have O2 ports, several Aveo lights, a speaker and a bundle of wires and tubes to feed everything in my Aerosport console. As a result, there is not a lot of flow through the eyeball vents.

Bill at Airflow has an improved evaporator and blower which reportedly increases flow through the overhead, but most of the cold air comes from the bulkhead outlets.

Showplanes

I am still working on the fuselage for my RV10 and am installing the Airflow Systems AC system.

The installation, so far, has been smooth. I didn't want to put anything extra in the tunnel and therefore placed the coolant lines in a sidewall.

As far as the overhead goes, even though I've spent a small fortune with Aerosport products, for some reason I went with the Showplanes console.

I don't know how much advertising Bryan does on the overhead console but I have installed his console into the cabin top. It has more of a rounded profile than the Aerosport console that most builders seem to use. I am not aware of any actual airflow studies but it seems that the Showplanes OH has a large cross sectional area and would likely allow a high volume of flow.

As was mentioned previously, you would do well to limit what is put into the OH. I have purposely limited the OH console to delivering AC and only two overhead dome lights.

Always open to more conversation about the build and about the AC.

I am still working on the fuselage for my RV10 and am installing the Airflow Systems AC system.

The installation, so far, has been smooth. I didn't want to put anything extra in the tunnel and therefore placed the coolant lines in a sidewall.

As far as the overhead goes, even though I've spent a small fortune with Aerosport products, for some reason I went with the Showplanes console.

I don't know how much advertising Bryan does on the overhead console but I have installed his console into the cabin top. It has more of a rounded profile than the Aerosport console that most builders seem to use. I am not aware of any actual airflow studies but it seems that the Showplanes OH has a large cross sectional area and would likely allow a high volume of flow.

As was mentioned previously, you would do well to limit what is put into the OH. I have purposely limited the OH console to delivering AC and only two overhead dome lights.

Always open to more conversation about the build and about the AC.

I was curious and pulled up the Showplanes website, but found no mention of any sort of overhead console. Do you have a link?

I agree with Bob, having cold air blow on my (and especially my wife’s) face from the Aerosport overhead is great. I have a lot of ‘stuff’ in my overhead, so added a switched axial booster fan on the outlet tube that supplies the overhead. This comes close to doubling the airflow.

I also opted for Bill’s Aussie version, which increases flow through the rear bulkhead as well.

I kept my rear NACA vents, and can route fresh air through the overhead via a servo when not using the AC. Like this a lot too…

Back