What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

8a Nose Gear Leg Noice

cbailey

Looking for some advice from the RV Brain Trust.

Just started the condition check on my 8a and noticed a strange rubbing noise when moving the plane around the hangar.

After opening everything up and looking for the source I found the nose gear leg is making the sound. Visually checked the entire engine mount over for cracks, nothing obvious. When I move the aircraft on its yaw axis the noise is coming from the bottom of the nose leg tube on the engine mount. The bolt on top is torqued to specs (with no weight on the nose tire when checked). Nothing is lose.

I tried attaching a video file, but the forum does not accept mp4 files and none of the conversions I tried worked. :mad: I did attach a picture of the area I am talking about.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Attachments

• 20240107_131635_000.jpg
    20240107_131635_000.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 57
I have an 8A, hangar queen, never flown.
When I assembled the front gear into the engine mount receiver it was tight but not a press fit so I could see it loosening over time and use. I am not sure what to loose would be. Maybe measure with a shim and monitor if gets worse.
Being that the mount is Cro Mo I would be concerned with corrosion between the leg and mount receiver. I greased mine lightly when I installed it but that might a good practice to grease that on annual inspection just for corrosion reasons.

Mine does this when the bolt in the leg needs a 1/4 turn. It was wallowed out when I got it, so I put a close tolerance bolt in and cranked it down

Well known issue, Last I heard a taper pin requiring a taper hone of the hogged out bolt hole. Held in place with a nut on top. Search around,not easy to taper the leg bolt hole,other then that easy.

Also check that the fork stop weldment is installed correctly. If it's installed backwards it can put excessive side load on this mount bolt. There is a SB out for this. SB 14-12-22.

Looking for some advice from the RV Brain Trust.

Just started the condition check on my 8a and noticed a strange rubbing noise when moving the plane around the hangar.

After opening everything up and looking for the source I found the nose gear leg is making the sound. Visually checked the entire engine mount over for cracks, nothing obvious. When I move the aircraft on its yaw axis the noise is coming from the bottom of the nose leg tube on the engine mount. The bolt on top is torqued to specs (with no weight on the nose tire when checked). Nothing is lose.

I tried attaching a video file, but the forum does not accept mp4 files and none of the conversions I tried worked. :mad: I did attach a picture of the area I am talking about.

Any ideas?

Thank you
This may help...... https://vansairforce.net/threads/nose-gear-lessons-learned.121430/#post-1369257

Thank you all, SB 14-12-22 was complied with and ruled that out. Thank you for the link about nose-gear-lessons-learned. I will check that out this weekend.

Interesting side note, I pulled the 8 out of hangar the other day to run the engine. After putting back in the hangar no more noise. 🤔

Again, thank you everyone for you help and input.

Back