What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

380x150-5 tires on a -6A?

johnbright

Well Known Member
Friend
I haven’t found anyone on VAF running 380x150-5 main gear tires on a -6A… is that because it is a bad idea? I did find one fellow who put them on a -14A.

Thanks,

Actually the added height of the 380x150 tires would raise the tail up similar to the height of a 7A. Nothing wrong with that.

I hope it is not a bad idea, because I put them on my -6A (for a farm grass strip), though it is not flying yet.

Attachments

• 20230921_100937.jpg
    20230921_100937.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 71
The 380's are a great upgrade, especially for those operating on grass/dirt/unimproved strips. I just replaced my first set after 500 hours due to age with 50% tread remaining. Never flew an "A" with the bigger tires, however there is a noticeable improvement in ground handling on the tailwheel birds. The larger tires necessitate opening up the wheel pants to accommodate the larger and wider tire. As far as I am concerned the performance loss is negligible considering the benefits of the larger tires.

There is a risk of main gear shimmy when landing or taking off on asphalt.

More so with wheel pants.

I had the wood stiffeners, they helped but were not perfect.

Everything else with the tires were a plus.

Tim

+1 for the 380

I put them on my 9 and have no problem with them. I've been lazy about fairings for my landing gear but no complaints so far. I run about 40psi.
Just be sure to space your disc away from the tire to avoid any contact between the tire and brakes. I used a washer for a spacer and slightly rounded off the backing plate for the outboard brake pad.
My reasoning was the same as yours and they look cooler too.
danny
RV9, IO-360
lottsa fun!

I had them on my 4 and at times it was a PITA. Certainly runway condition specific most of the times with my 4.

I tried 40 pds and almost shook me off the runway. Low 20s worked best for me but it was never perfect.

I do know on the 4 with the stock wheels and wheel pants it was never a problem.

I have a 9A now and the gear certainly is more stout then what I had on my 4. As well I now touch down 15+ mph slower so I couldn't imagine it being a problem on the 9A. At least on the one I fly.

But the 6, its similar to a 4 in many respects. But the main gear I really don't know.

There are a few posts on the forum of guys fighting the shimmey. I didn't notice if it was more specific on one model over another but I would guess, probably.

As far as spacing from the disk to the wheel, mine was good and I didnt have to change anything there. But I have heard that other guys had to add spacing.

Tim

Last edited:
I have a buddy who has had them on his 6A for many years with no issues. Will fit inside the wheel pants too. I believe there are several old threads about these tires on various models.

15 inch tyres

I fly a rv3B mostly on grass strips. I run 20 psi and come over the fence at 60 knots. I have stiffeners on the legs. Wheel pants enlarged to fit the bigger tyres. That works well for me. I nearly always wheel land.
I dislike sealed runways where shimmering can occur particularly at higher landing speeds.
Steve lenne

Back