What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wrong polarity on Lightspeed Plasma 2

KayS

Well Known Member
Hey Folks, please don't flame me but i was dumb enough to apply battery's 12V in reverse to the system. don't ask me how.

the diode on the main solenoid and the wire from solenoid to the master switch evaporated. will replace switch, wires, diode etc.

what really concernes me is that the 5A circuit breaker (that is directly hooked to the battery) for the electronic ignition power supply popped. that tells me that current was flowing with at least 5A through the Plasma 2 and it did that in the wrong direction.

do i have to brace myself to spend several grands on a new ignition?

Thank you
Kay

From the manual pg 10.
Input voltages above 32 volts or reversed polarity can cause system damage if the required 5 Amp (4-cyl.) or 7.5 Amp (6-cyl.) circuit breaker is not installed.

https://lightspeed-aero.com/Manuals/Plasma_CdiManual_20130317.pdf

The 5A circuit breaker limts the current, so there is a chance that the ignition
system survived.
I think that you can send it in for a repair, if there is damage.

Good luck

update:

replaced a lot of wires and made a test flight. the plasma 2 ignition seems to be fine and reverse polarity obviously didn't kill it. i guess the popping 5A circuit breaker protected the ignition from worse.

I you haven't already, give Klaus at LSE a call and briefly explain what you have conveyed in this thread.
Just because it works does not mean that parts of the circuit board are not damaged.
If he says, "good to go" great and if he needs to look at it, you'll be better off in the long run.
I installed his ignition on both of my RVs and never had any issues other than a builder induced minor problem with a loose connection at one of the coils.

Given the manual mentioning the breaker being part of the circuit protection I think it’s pretty obvious that the internal circuit protection crowbars the input when in reverse polarity and thus depends on the breaker to disconnect it.

This means that the circuit never saw this 5 amp draw only the the device that crowbared and the breaker itself and I suspect it was very brief.

i wouldn’t give it a second thought.

Back