What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip light install question

FlyingDiver

Well Known Member
Page 40is/U-10 specified using fuel tank sealant under the flange of the fiberglass light mount. I'm assuming that's for sealing that area from moisture after it's all riveted together.

I'm planning on using an epoxy/micro/flox mixture to fill the known gaps in the wingtip, and smooth out the transitions. I'm wondering if there's any good reason to use the sealant if all those edges are going to be sealed with epoxy anyway.

Without having done this, epoxy/flox is exactly my plan. Same for the cross over of the wing top cover as called out in 17-04 Step 06.
But maybe someone can convince us otherwise?

One other question on this section -what's the purpose of the flox mixture in steps 5 & 6 on pg 8? It looks to me like it's just to make sure there's a really smooth fit between the W-1222 tip extension and the W-1204E tip edge channel. So again, if you're not going to use sealant and you're going to fill those seams with epoxy mix anyway, is this step actually accomplishing anything? I'm just wondering why it was done this way, and not like the intake scoop on the bottom of the cowl.

OK, nevermind that last question. I took a closer look at that part, and the flox mixture is needed to build up that area so it can actually be riveted to the tip edge. As it is now, it's likely to crack as soon as it's riveted.

Back