What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Will Dynon's SV-EMS-220 support more than two fuel tanks?

mikelupo

Patron
This may be a better question asked directly to Dynon, but thought I'd ask here anyway.

My RV-10 has four fuel tanks with a combined capacity of 120 gallons. Only the outboard fuel tanks have fuel fillers installed. Only the inboard tanks have fuel level transducers.
In each wing, they are currently plumbed in series (the outboard tank flows into the inboard tank via a hose) and operate as one virtual 60 gallon tank.
This makes fuel management a bit challenging as I often cannot know what I have above and beyond 30 gallons.
I am in the planning phase of a panel update to Dynon/Advanced and am curious if there is a way to have > 2 fuel tanks supported by the EMS.
I imagine that if it did, the EFIS would need a way of displaying them.
By looking at the wiring diagram the EMS module supports two. I could add a second EMS and interface them together, but then if I did that, I wonder if the EMS display will support the 4 fuel inputs?

Another thought is to wire inboard/outboard fuel senders in series so they too operate together as one virtual 60 gallon tank. I was told this is possible but have not researched it.

SV-EMS-220 will handle more than two fuel level senders.

Skyview install manual: There's a paragraph in section 7 titled "Fuel Level Sensor".

Skyview HDX Pilot's User Guide: You can find the words "fuel levels for multiple tanks".

I would ask on the Dynon Forum.

Last edited:
Yes, four tanks are supported and four levels can be shown. my Dynon equipped airplane has four, for example. You will need additional senders in the two tanks that don't currently have them obviously. -Robert

I'm not sure how you would go about calibrating them though if you set it up as four tanks, because each wing's tanks are connected and are in effect one tank.
I think it would be preferable to add a second sender for each outer tank then connect them in series and calibrate as one tank.

I run four tanks on my 9A, with the outboards low point draining into the vent connection at the highpoint of the inboard. To calibrate those I had to first calibrate the inboard tank, then with the inboard tank full (so no fuel flows from the outboard to the inboard) I began the calibration of the outboard. Worked like a charm.

Back