What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wildfire

n5lp

fugio ergo sum
This is one of my favorite photography subjects and something I get a lot of opportunity for.

Big lesson from this morning is to wear a black shirt or at least a dark non-patterned shirt. Kind of ruined one of my favorites in this genre. Usually I can work around the canopy limitations better but this was the angle the photo needed to be taken at.

DSC06495.jpg

From my RV-6 this morning over Carlsbad Caverns National Park, well outside the TFR.

This fire is about a week old and was started by lightning. Because of conditions it was decided a couple of days ago to start fighting it.

Which canyon is that in Larry? And which way are you looking?

CAVEfire.jpg

The photo is taken from Slaughter Canyon which is a small part of the burn. It is looking from the lower left of this line to the upper right (ENE). The line is pointing up toward the Visitor's Center roughly along South Rattlesnake Canyon. If I recall correctly I have been in your airplane in West Slaughter Canyon, which comes in at the bottom of the map.

DSC06507.jpg

The Visitor's Center looked pretty smoky this morning. In fact my house was pretty smoky this afternoon, but not tonight during my walk.

Back