What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which kit to order next?

YME

Well Known Member
Will be building RV12-iS and recently filled out the request form for the 6 red labled LCP affecting the RV12-iS. Not sure of the delivery time and I want to build the empennage first to get the experience in using the tools and understanding the build process. Which kit would be next to order or just follow Van's sequence fuselage and then wings?

My understanding is that the empennage kit is a fairly quick build. So, would you order one of the other kits now and hope that the LCP replacement parts come in first? That way I could possible shorten the downtime between kits. Working in a 2 car garage with not a-lot of storage space.

Will be building RV12-iS and recently filled out the request form for the 6 red labled LCP affecting the RV12-iS. Not sure of the delivery time and I want to build the empennage first to get the experience in using the tools and understanding the build process. Which kit would be next to order or just follow Van's sequence fuselage and then wings?

My understanding is that the empennage kit is a fairly quick build. So, would you order one of the other kits now and hope that the LCP replacement parts come in first? That way I could possible shorten the downtime between kits. Working in a 2 car garage with not a-lot of storage space.
Wings would be next as far as the suggested build order goes. I think this works out well because the fuselage naturally flows into finishing up the engine and avionics. Whichever section you do next, you'll be out of room in your 1 car garage when you're done and something will need to go. The wings build pretty fast. You can get those done and find a place to store them (along with the tail). This will leave you with room to complete the fuselage, engine, and avionics which takes the longest when looked at all together as the last big section.

Wings would be next as far as the suggested build order goes. I think this works out well because the fuselage naturally flows into finishing up the engine and avionics. Whichever section you do next, you'll be out of room in your 1 car garage when you're done and something will need to go. The wings build pretty fast. You can get those done and find a place to store them (along with the tail). This will leave you with room to complete the fuselage, engine, and avionics which takes the longest when looked at all together as the last big section.
Thanks Nate for info. When ordering the wing kit are there accessories I need to consider also, ie, landing lights, antenna, wiring, etc.

Thanks Nate for info. When ordering the wing kit are there accessories I need to consider also, ie, landing lights, antenna, wiring, etc.
Hi Tom - I’m about to start a 12iS kit also. The wing kit now includes dual landing lights, and there are no other options available for that kit.

Yeah, wings. Pretty fun with lots of repetition. The results are very satisfying.
the fuselage is very complicated and full of tons of work. Wings, yes.

I did the wings as the second kit. They get big fast. Lots of prep work deburring and priming parts. The actual assembly went fast. Had the preclose inspection just before the winter hangar temperatures started. Just need to rivet the top skins and the wing tops together to complete. Have built the fuse kit over the winter in my ”warmer” garage.

I think either are a good choice for the next kit depending on your space and conditions.

Attachments

• IMG_2772.jpeg
    IMG_2772.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1109.jpeg
    IMG_1109.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 36
Thanks for all the responses. Looks like I do the wing kit next and then store them in the house. A point was brought up that I had not thought about. Are there pre-close inspections needed when proceeding along with the construction and who does those.

I had a limited space in the garage when I started, and my sequence was Rudder / Elevator / Wings ( of course ailerons, ast...) and packed all out of the working space.

With that done, I started the middle section (20 and beyond) so I had space to move around and possibility to flip down the center section too, before the legs were mounted.

The back part of the fuselage goes in pretty quickly, and can be mounted once the whole work of the middle section is done.

I considered the aft part, almost as part of the (semi)final assembly, when already in the hangar, to fit engine, wings...

Godo
RV12 in sunny Barcelona (Spain)

I had a limited space in the garage when I started, and my sequence was Rudder / Elevator / Wings ( of course ailerons, ast...) and packed all out of the working space.

With that done, I started the middle section (20 and beyond) so I had space to move around and possibility to flip down the center section too, before the legs were mounted.

The back part of the fuselage goes in pretty quickly, and can be mounted once the whole work of the middle section is done.

I considered the aft part, almost as part of the (semi)final assembly, when already in the hangar, to fit engine, wings...

Godo
RV12 in sunny Barcelona (Spain)
Gordo
Thanks for the reply and looks like I am going the same way.

Back