What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Visually identify flox vs microballons

auburnaviator

Well Known Member
VAF brain trust:
This may be a dumb question but how do I visually tell the difference between microballons and cotton flox? I bought a “composite starter kit” from Spruce and it contains both products but they are indistinguishable white powders to the untrained eye (me). How do I tell the difference between the two with identical unmarked bags?

Thanks all!
Zach

Bought one of those kits several years ago. The Micro is a powder that flows like a liquid. Very light weight. Put it in some old Tupperware and was easy to tell. In bags, they seemed similar. Don't forget breathing protection when even pouring them.

Cotton flox looked more like small heavy(ish) cotton balls mixed together. If they are indistinguishable, they could have sent you 2 of the same things.

Flox vs Micro

It sounds like they sent two bags of the same thing.
As Joel mentioned. Flox looks like someone threw a pillow in blender. Finely shredded cotton. It does flow but it tends to clump.
Micro literally flows like a liquid. The glass beads are microscopic. Definately wear PPE around micro. It floats in the air.
I keep both in gallon size old windshield washer fluid bottles. Easy to dispense. Nothing will ruin your day like dropping a micro bag on the floor. No I didn't. But I have spilled it and it makes a mess requiring a good vacuum.

Micro Balloons feels slippery between your fingers (it is little balls rolling around)
Cotton flox will clump and stick together when rubbed between fingers (the cotton fibers will microscopically link together).

And if one of them seems like it is extremely small flakes of a white material, it is a thickening agent called Cabosil.

All three are easy to misidentify if you are in a hurry.

Well after careful scrutiny one is definitely cotton flox! The other bag could either be microballons or Cab-o-sil. Any readily identifiable way to tell those two apart?

Well after careful scrutiny one is definitely cotton flox! The other bag could either be microballons or Cab-o-sil. Any readily identifiable way to tell those two apart?

Pour some into a cup.

Micro will pour almost like water. Cabo will not.

Pour some into a cup.

Micro will pour almost like water. Cabo will not.

Thanks Mike,
Must be Cabo then as it sticks in the cup like baking soda or flour and “pours” out in big clumps. Almost disintegrates when rubbed between your fingers.

Be sure to wear respirator when working with micro. The stuff becomes airborne as soon as you open container.

Back