What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Under Seat Flap Motor

Xkuzme1

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a video or pics they can share of the Under seat flap motor in operation? Looking specifically for the -4 or rocket.

Thanks.

T

My RV-4 system

Here are some shots of the system I put in my RV-4 during build. This is the standard VANs set-up. The dive motor/jackscrew is horizontal in the tunnel on the left side. There is a pivot lever that attaches to the drive motor and is fastened to the R/H side of the tunnel with a bolt that goes through the belly skin and an angle on the tunnel. The unique flap weldment arm is different than the manual flap weldment and has a horn that connects to the pivot arm via rod end linkage. I have a small R/C model wire link to a position indicator X-ducer for the Ray Allen indicator and control my flaps via pushbuttons on the stick. I really like the set-up, and have sidewall panels that cover all the flap actuation arms, so there is zero chance of PAX fouling anything and better footwell room as well. I have seen some sidewall mounted actuators that have been adapted to the standard flap weldments that work equally as well, however this system was easy to install during build.

Attachments

• Flap system.jpg
    Flap system.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 135
  • Flap linkage.jpg
    Flap linkage.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 125
  • flap mech.jpg
    flap mech.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Flap motor.jpg
    Flap motor.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 127
Here is an old web page from my Rocket build when I repurposed an actuator from an RV-9, mirroring the standard RV-4 electric flaps system.

http://www.vx-aviation.com/sprocket/controls.htm

IMG_1242.JPG

Vern

@ Xkuxme1. Found my video of the new kit in action. If you want it, drop me your mobile# and I'll send direct.

As Scott pointed out, we do have the new style kits for the Rockets and Raiders available. Whether they could be adapted to any other RV-X aircraft, I do not know.

I believe that what Todd (xkuzme) wants to see is how the flap rod cut out in the fuselage side and bottom is shaped. A couple of photos would help, but in the end it's a trim and fit operation specific to each set up.

Back