What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Unbelievable Two-Ship

indoor rc models

I've seen this in person at Aero Friedrichshafen and I really wanted to have someone like Isaac Newton with me to explain how it was possible for those little airplanes to do what they do. Then I wondered why you couldn't scale them up so that you could fit a person in there. I think the Gs would be even stronger than the F-22 could handle.

We even have adjustable pitch propellors....and they can do reverse thrust too! It's remarkable how far the technology's come in just the last few years.

rv8ch said:
.....I wondered why you couldn't scale them up so that you could fit a person in there. I think the Gs would be even stronger than the F-22 could handle.

We had the same question at work yesterday - someone wanted to forward this to our image-analysis guys to have them figure out the G's in the turns if they were full-sized. Engineers think alike!

Paul

rv8ch said:
... explain how it was possible for those little airplanes to do what they do. Then I wondered why you couldn't scale them up so that you could fit a person in there.

It's mostly a because of ultra-low wing loading and ultra-high power to weight ratio. The G's aren't high at all.

Ironflight said:
We had the same question at work yesterday - someone wanted to forward this to our image-analysis guys to have them figure out the G's in the turns if they were full-sized. Engineers think alike!

The G's in a steady turn are directly related to bank angle alone.

G's = 1/cos(bank angle)

How

Paul, you ask how they can do this--------------

1. Technology. High output brushless motors, lightweight lithium/poly batteries, carbon fiber, "Depron" foam, ETC.

2. Practice---------LOTS!!!!

3. Immagination

By the way these apear to be regular production models you could buy----check out Horizon Hobbies.

You might also Google microlite R/C---------some of these are flying with TOTAL weignt of just a few grams.

Mike

Small electrics

Hi Paul,

The small electric RC stuff has really evolved in the past 3 years. With Lithium Ion batteries, extremely small servos and affordable prices everyone can learn quickly. Those in the video are typical of the indoor aerobatic models and "no wind" planes. All up weight of these planes is 8-12 oz.

I have one very similar that I fly regularly in my hangar. Also have a micro helicopter that I plan to take with me in the RV for fun. If I can find it I have a video of a guy with the reverse pitch prop set up. Very cool.

The F22 does some amazing things, but it's not magic. Watching these guys fly though reminds me of trying to fight an F22 in an F16 last summer, it LOOKED magic...

same comment: "how do they do that"...

RR

Darwins other hat

Just clicked in my poor brain------AMA soaring editor.

Good tie-in with the -7 drag reduction and R/C sailplane performance.

Mike
AMA 50246
EDRCF Prez

Magic airplanes

smokyray said:
The F22 does some amazing things, but it's not magic. Watching these guys fly though reminds me of trying to fight an F22 in an F16 last summer, it LOOKED magic...

RR
If it's not secret, it would be great to read a write-up about the things you experienced. Pretty much every fighter from the F86 on seemed like an amazing aircraft to me, and I know they do get better with each generation. What's not obvious to the guy on the ground watching the airshow is how they are different. Tighter turns? More power? Lots of other stuff?

(I hope don't mind me hijacking your thread, Paul! :))

smokyray said:

RR

I've got a friend that used to be the commander of the local Air Guard unit (F-16s) My understanding is that everyone was saying the same thing when the Harriers first came out. "How did he do that, how can I compete with that?"

I was told that it took a very short period of time for F-14, -15, -16 pilots to figure out that they were going to do the same thing every time, all you had to do is anticipate it. "Ok, he's going to vector thrust right now. All I have to do is use rudder to lead him and he's dead."

Where can I get one of these planes??? It would be great for messing with my co-workers or the dog. :D

Where?

Google "Tower hobbies" or "Horrizon hobbies"

The quote below is from Tower, seems to be the same plane in the viedo, unfortunatly the photo from the ad didn't come across---------

THEN you need to learn how to fly them-----------it is a major change of habits to fly SLOW and at a high AOA if you are used to flying regular R/C planes.

"Best Deal #54 - Save Up to $20.00 on Select Great Planes Flatouts ARFs
Ever since their debut, ElectriFly FlatOuts have been racking up first-place wins in demanding competitions. Innovative hardware makes assembly faster and easier than that of other "flat foamies" and improves performance too. Prices start as low as $19.99 with motor! Check out the deluxe video (broadband recommended). "

Mike

Best advice

RV7Factory said:
Where can I get one of these planes??? It would be great for messing with my co-workers or the dog. :D

Brad,

The best advice I can give you is start with a plane called a Slow Stik. Any reasonable "real" hobby shop will have them. GET SOME HELP FLYING IT!!!

And most importantly, remember that you can't serve all the airplane God's!!!!!!!

My dog chases my models like those in the video. She's a Chihuahua and think she did something good by chasing off the evil toy. I also have a micro helicopter called a Blade CP. Great flying out of the box (if you know how) The dog did not care for me flying that thing in the house. Great fun hovering from table to tv to stereo speakers just out of range of Cujo light.

RV7Guy said:
...Cujo light.
LMAO! :D I'm starting to feel like I need my semi-annual Grazzie pizza fix (yum). Maybe I will head back to Scottsdale soon and pay you and C.L. another visit. ;)

As far as the RC plane goes... I can see it now... I could tie a streamer to it and do laps around the dog park. The dogs would go nuts chasing that thing, and no more throwing soaking wet tennis balls. :)

Last edited:
Welcome anytime

Hey Brad,

That's a great idea. I've got a dog park about a mile from my house. Hmmm.... come to think about it they have obedience training on Saturday morning. Let's see if they've learned anything???? :D :D

You're welcome anytime. We'll fly somewhere

Back