What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News 1.30.2024 (w/ Off Topic)

The 'VAF List' is growing by the day. There is a link to it under 'Links' in the menu, and it's a sticky at the tope of the 'General' subforum. As I come across (I'm at the beginning of the process) or you send me URLs to posts that you found helpful, I'll add links. The idea/hope is that here in a bit we'll have a nice, tidy area for newcomers/builders/maintainers to find the high volume topics.
v/r,dr

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE:
---------------------------------------

Wiring Dynon A/Ps into Skyview ...N890GF helps
The AP servos are the same as other SkyView Network components with one exception: the power of the AP servos are separate than the SV-NET power wires. Whether you splice the two servos into a single D9 connector, or use two D9 connectors and connect to a SV-NET-HUB (for example) it results in the same connections. I've added an annotated screenshot of my wiring diagram showing the AP servos connected to the hub with separate power wires (to my VPX) and the AP Disengage wire (in yellow) routed to the stick. The two D9s connected to the hub only have the data wires connected as that is all that needs to be spliced into the SkyView Network.
VAFDR_ 155 Jan. 29.jpg

One step closer to finishing paint.
VAFDR_ 150 Jan. 29.jpg

Emp Fairing Update ...wirejock
Micro sanded. Even using my cordless tools, I'm tired. Bad shoulder doesn't help.
VAFDR_ 154 Jan. 29.jpg

bifft's DIY Grip
And for the simpler kind, carved this out of a limb cut off the apple tree in my yard. Only has a push to talk. The rear one came out better, that is what is pictured.
VAFDR_ 156 Jan. 29.jpg

RE: 12 Stiffener Kit ...Tony Kirk
Just came across this thread while looking for something else and thought I'd add a possible solution.
For anyone else that runs into a low-frequency vibration in the early RV-12 (legacy) in flight, check to see if the firewall Stiffener Retrofit is installed. Refer to KAI 54 (attached) and order the 12 STIFFENER KIT from Van's.
Also, be sure to have your prop balanced.
VAFDR_ 157 Jan. 29.jpg

RV-8 Windscreen/Dash transition
What are you all using for a nice RV-8 inside windscreen transition with the dashpad? I covered my dash with a non reflective material and it turned out rather well but the intersection with the front windscreen still looks a bit unfinished. Some type of weatherstripping or a flexible 90 transition piece on the inside seems to be a likely candidate. Any pictures to share? I’ve tried a couple things but so far what I’ve tried hasn’t been the ideal solution.
VAFDR_ 158 Jan. 29.jpg

OFF TOPIC:
VAFDR_ 159 Jan. 29.jpg

Back