What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

sunshade

HansLab

Well Known Member
Hi,
until now (130hrs) I had a baseball hat for passengers next to the chair and my glider-hat for myself in case of sun. However it isn't too hygienic, and I would like to have some kind of more professional-like device as well.
So I bought https://www.fly-tex.de/Installation.html#zwei

It works quite well (and the costs are quite little) however I don' t like the suckers. Besides: they take about 1,5 - 2,0 CM space off the cockpit room.
At first it was an advantage, for I can remove and replace. But now, when it is in place I realise that removal is not needed.

So, I'd like to remove the suckers and glue the frame to the cockpit.
Thinkin' of carpet double sided tape, or the 3M variation to that (some 2mm thick).
Any objections, experiences, questions, thoughts on that theme?

The double-stick adhesive tape originally supplied with my circa-2014 RV-12 canopy shade (Koger brand) has held up well. My only suggestions are to be sure that your main attachment rail closely fits the inner curvature of the canopy and that you endeavour to press out all of the air bubbles between the rail/tape and the canopy surface.

The suction-cup installation looks intriguing but I have had marginal success with canopy suction cups (usually for small sun-blockers) staying put over time when exposed to sunlight. You are correct in that headroom is an important factor -- especially when using bulky headsets.

Last edited:
Back