What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slick Start info

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Thinking on adding a Slick Start on the RV 10 for a Bendix impulse mag. Anyone with experience with the Slick Start. Is it worth 1300.00

The history here is that Slick had a service history of impulse mags coming apart on IO-540s, and recommended using a Slick start with a retard mag (no impulse coupling) as an alternative. To the best of my knowledge Bendix mags have not had a service issue, so for you, I’d say you’re good as is.

I've been very impressed with the slick start on my -10 for the 20 (?) months the airplane has been flying. The airplane starts incredibly easily.

Slick start on my slick impulse couple mag, no issues in decades. My unit was manufactured by Unison(old) Simple device to install, 3 wires- power, ground, signal. Works !

I removed the 6350 mag and installed a 6393 with the SlickStart on my rv-10. Very noticeable improvement on starting.
vic

I had the retard mag setup on my 10 when I bought it. Was a bear to hot start. I decided instead of adding the slick start, I replaced the retard mag with a Pmag.

Not complete apples-apples comparison but,

had the Bendix version of an induction vibrator on their mags in a Mooney. The application/concept is stone simple. Original 50 year old module was still making sparks for easy cranking when I sold the aircraft. I wouldn’t own a mag spark engine without an IV My worthless $02.

Rich, I sent you a text. I have a used mag and slick start I removed when I installed my electronic ignition. I think a better solution is to install and electronic ignition. What mag do you have for the non impulse?

At $1300 you are 2/3 of the way to a Surefly, not to mention future mag re-builds. I had a SlickStart for many years and it worked well, but doesn’t hold a candle to how EI consistently starts the engine.

Back