What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sheet metal brake for trim tabs

kirkbauer

Has anybody used a sheet metal brake for the trim tabs, if only for the 15-degree bend at the front?

I'm doing round two of my trim tabs and am trying to be smarter about it. Would such a tool have any other use in the future of the build?

For the record, this time I'm planning on doing all of the long bends before I bend the side tabs.

I'm thinking something like this:

Last edited:
I had the harbor freight one and was disappointed. The metal bar has to be clamped, and the whole thing flexes. I bought this one:
I like it much better, and I have used it multiple times so far in my build.

I just tried that this week. 30 in isn’t long enough for rv-10 trim tabs. But you can use the top plate and a plywood sheet with clamps if you extend the edge with something else. You can bend against something flat. But I haven’t found a good solution. sliding a hand seamer along the edge after taping all surfaces sort-of works. Not happy with the result yet.

I had the harbor freight one and was disappointed. The metal bar has to be clamped, and the whole thing flexes. I bought this one:
I like it much better, and I have used it multiple times so far in my build.
I agree, the Harbor Fright one is a POS.

The HF one is a POS. It is great putting stress cracks in the bends. I was able to make it sort of work with a welding rod placed in the bend area to round out the bend. The one linked above looks like it may be the ticket.

Back