What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A Trim Hinge

CaptPausert

Ok I have a question on the elevator trim hinge. Is it normal for the hinge received to be a blank hinge with no predrilled holes? That is what I received. The AEX wedge for the elevator I received also has no predrilled holes unlike the one for the rudder.

Any suggestions for positioning the AEX wedge? The rudder AEX wedge was predrilled so it just clecoed in place.

The instructions appear to be a bit lacking in this regard. I have tried in my 11 years as an engineer for the USAF to keep the instructions from being quite as ridiculous as "remove tool X from box Y. install part Z into tool X using steps a-f" (yes that is a paraphrase of an actual instruction I got sent for my approval). but the plans do seem to be kind of brief and missing some things that would really speed things up and keep mistakes from happening.

Thanks,

Yes, it is a blank hinge and wedge. The best advice I can give for the trim hinge is to think about how to locate it on the elevator first, clamp and do the drilling as required, then align onto the trim tab. Once drilling is complete mark and trim off the excess edges. From memory the key here is to ensure the trim tab itself has a slight gap (1/8" if I remember correctly) to the elevator on the outboard edge.

For the wedge pieces, there are cross-sections on the elevator drawing showing where the wedge sits fore/aft, so ideally mark a centreline along where this should be (again if IIRC the trailing edge protrudes slightly from the elevator and is filed back). Use VHB tape to hold the wedge piece in place then drill from the pilot hole through the wedge and lower part of the elevator skin. The bigger pain with the wedge comes when you countersink for dimples, as the countersinks may (usually will) overlap so the pilot has nowhere to centre and the countersink can wander (there are plenty of other posts on this elsewhere).

On another note - wait till you get to the 7' long wedge for the flaps.....best to hone your skills on a smaller part now, trust me.

Back