What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8A to RV-8 Conversion during construction

jaypay

Looking for some tips on swapping from Tricycle to TW during construction. I have built the empennage and halfway through my wings on a Slow Build 8A. Not started on the Fuse yet, so the work required is mostly reading the plans and sourcing the correct parts.

I have all the parts to build the A version, including fwf, so I am hoping to use as much as possible of those to minimize buying additional parts.

Has anyone installed an A motor mount on a straight 8? Aside from a bit of extra weight, are there other drawbacks?

I looked at the SkyDesign gear legs instead of the stock gear, but havent found much in terms of reviews or pireps. If anyone has them on a flying aircraft, it would be interesting to hear how it‘s working out.

Any other suppliers I should look into for this conversion instead of going for stock parts? TIA

Looking for some tips on swapping from Tricycle to TW during construction. I have built the empennage and halfway through my wings on a Slow Build 8A. Not started on the Fuse yet, so the work required is mostly reading the plans and sourcing the correct parts.

I have all the parts to build the A version, including fwf, so I am hoping to use as much as possible of those to minimize buying additional parts.

Has anyone installed an A motor mount on a straight 8? Aside from a bit of extra weight, are there other drawbacks?

I looked at the SkyDesign gear legs instead of the stock gear, but havent found much in terms of reviews or pireps. If anyone has them on a flying aircraft, it would be interesting to hear how it‘s working out.

Any other suppliers I should look into for this conversion instead of going for stock parts? TIA
Engine cooling airflow is slightly more restricted with the A model mount, and if you use the angle valve ( no induction scoop) cowl, the leg socket protrudes through the bottom of the cowling slightly.

Engine cooling airflow is slightly more restricted with the A model mount, and if you use the angle valve ( no induction scoop) cowl, the leg socket protrudes through the bottom of the cowling slightly.
Good to know. I looked at my finishing kit, and it contains the WD-824-D1-PC engine mount along with the COWL, 8 BOT IO-360, indeed.

Will have to keep this in mind, and perhaps look to either source the correct engine mount, or review the construction drawings for the engine mount to see if the 8A mount can be modified to remove the leg socket. Oor work some fiberglass to hide it in place... Thx.

This change from an RV-8A to an taildragger is a complicated one. The gear setup is completely different. The engine mount would need to be modified. The gear weldments traded out completely. The tail wheel parts purchased and incorporated into the 8-A. Also, the A has some rivets missing from the center section compared to a tailwheel version. I would consider buying a tailwheel kit from someone who has quit building and selling your A version kit.

This change from an RV-8A to an taildragger is a complicated one. The gear setup is completely different. The engine mount would need to be modified. The gear weldments traded out completely. The tail wheel parts purchased and incorporated into the 8-A. Also, the A has some rivets missing from the center section compared to a tailwheel version. I would consider buying a tailwheel kit from someone who has quit building and selling your A version kit.
I will keep an eye out for that. I figure I have +/- a year before I get to the fuse, so I might find the parts I need during this time. Looking into this earlier rather than later so as to know what to expect and look for. Thx.

Our RV-8 started as an A, was converted to tailwheel during construction. New gear and different motor mount, as most have said. It wasn't terribly complicated, but we didn't use the A motor mount as we were told by Vans we couldn't. Didn't ask why, just went with what they said.

Back