What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Aileron Trim Servo

I want to install my aileron trim servo in the right wing along with the Garmin AP servo on my RV-10 and I would like to do the installation before closing the bottom skin. I understand the critical dimension is to ensure the aileron pushrod is in the neutral position to attach the spring brackets on the pushrod. Given the state of completion in that I don't have all the linkage connected through the fuselage (which I don't have yet), can I use the W-730 bellcrank jig to establish that neutral position for the aileron bellcrank? Then place the trim brackets on the pushrod based on the jig/bellcrank neitral position. Really would like to make those connections before attaching the bottom skin. Alternatively, should I wait until the linkage is more intact, through the fuselage to set the trim brackets on the pushrod? Thoughts?

I did this after the wing was on the plane, control surfaces rigged and control sticks verified in final positions.

Carl

I did my mine during wing assembly. I installed per OP-38 and thought it was pretty straightforward to do. It thought it was much easier to do during construction with the wing upside down on saw horses. I did set the neutral point of the servo based on having the roll servo also at its neutral point with the W-730 per the KAI.

I have tested full stroke ability of the servo and don't know that any mechanical adjustments would be needed, but could be done post installation of the wings if needed, and IMO more easily than doing the installation that way.

I did not consider doing after wing installation; I don't like working upside down or over my head.

Last edited:
Once the wings are on you can mark where on the push rods where to attach the spring brackets. without the wing tips on it is easy to pull the rods to attach the brackets.

Back