What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Restraining or positioning SKAT tubing?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
Too big for Adel clamp. How on earth do I keep these from wandering around? The air tubes into and out of the heat muff are "mostly" in the right place, but how do I keep them there?

Larger Adel Clamps

You can get Adel clamps to secure most 2 in hoses. By the way this is SKEET hose from Custom Ducts. Comes pre-made with cuffs at each end. SKEET is much better than SKAT, in my opinion. Steel core is encased and can't damage anything if it rusts.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-09 213914.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-09 213914.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 183
Hose clamps at the ends. You can also twist the hose to get it to pull in or away from stuff, then lock in that twist with the clamps.
I use the thinner hose clamps sold on Aircraft Extras.
In the middle you can use the zip-tie in tubing trick for standoffs.

Adel clamps up to 3 1/8" (MS21919-DG50) are available from all the usual places, will that not work for cabin heat?

SCAT clamp

The exhaust kit came with two stainless straps for that. Breeze clamps come in all sizes. I made some brackets from scrap angle. Also found some little steel thingys at Ace hardware aviation supply.

Waxed nylon thread such as rib lacing cord. Parachute riggers use it for tacking stuff in place and comes in black. Called Super Tack. Super strong and versatile, easy to tie and multiple uses, better than zip ties. Essential for wiring too, IMO.

Hey Clay- For something as light weight and non critical as a heater scat tube you can make your own adel clamps in any size out of strap. Debur the edges and either wrap it in silicon tape or smear the edges with rtv and let dry before installing so vibration doesn't have its way with the scat over time. You can also make it look a bit more like a regular cushion clamp by covering the edges in that throw away plastic piece that comes on band saw blades if you happen to have one that you haven't thrown away yet.

If it's just a matter of keeping it from rubbing on a sharp corner or engine mount tube or whatever you can just glue it to the touch point with RVT. Temporarily hold it off the touch point with tape, a popsicle stick, safety wire, whatever is handy just so theres a small gap, then fill the gap with RTV. When it dries, remove the temporary positioning device.

Here's a picture of how I dealt wit a hot spot at the corner of the battery box.

Attachments

• IMG_8883.jpg
    IMG_8883.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Did you keep any of that steel strapping used on shipping crates and bandsaw blade guards?

Attachments

• IMG_1349.jpg
    IMG_1349.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 82
You could also use a zip tie with a mounting hole like this good Panduit one below, and then attach that to an engine mount tube with an Adel clamp. I've had that arrangement on my -6 for 16 years and they hold up well. It would also be a good idea to use self-fusing silicone tape around the SCAT under the zip tie.

PLC%20SERIES%20BLACK.jpg

One option that has worked for decades is Koroseal lacing.

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/cspages/lacing.php

I've used this stuff very successfully to clamp SCAT tubing in place. The lacing can be wrapped around engine mount tubes and then used to form a combined clamp/standoff. It takes a few tries to get the hang of doing the "figure of 8" wrap around engine mount and SCAT tube but once it's in place it stays forever.

I just buy it by the 100 foot roll and always keep it on hand.

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/elpages/lacing04-03465.php

Back