What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Randal's RV-3 Project

Lithosis

Hey Everyone,

This weekend I picked up an RV-3 project. It is quite an interesting piece of history as one of the early kits made in the 70s. I'm the third owner and am picking up the projects around or after the quick build stage. The plane had been in storage in East Idaho for the past 10 years. Luckily this is very much a high mountain desert and it is in fairly good condition. Still waiting for a technical advisor to come take a look.

The kit includes the tail, fuse, wings, and finishing kit. It has a 0-320-E2A core hanging on the front. I'm planning on an IRAN but expecting a lot of repairs. Here is an album of my initial borescopes: https://photos.app.goo.gl/NaQzCksCfHJ8iJKR8 I may pull a cylinder soon to get a look at the crank and cam shafts. It also came with a Hartzell CS prop which is where I attribute most of the value of this kit. There is a steam gauge instrument cluster, but I may change it out for glass. I figure it will pay for itself if I sell the plane.

Too many details to discuss! Still digging through everything and working on a plan of action. Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• IMG_4538.jpg
    IMG_4538.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_4539.jpg
    IMG_4539.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 247
  • 71476034528__19CA6208-16B8-446E-92D6-82A05D0635C1.jpg
    71476034528__19CA6208-16B8-446E-92D6-82A05D0635C1.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Thanks Carl and Dave! I have seen that website. I was a little dismayed some of the older websites seemed to have disappeared, but glad that one is there with the wing mod documents.

RV-3 Resto

Interesting bottom cowling induction inlet mod.

Do you have the Hartzell Model Number for the propeller, to insure it's approved for the 320 Lycoming you will be using.

Thanks - HFS

RV-3 S/N 11226 Building

Interesting bottom cowling induction inlet mod.

Do you have the Hartzell Model Number for the propeller, to insure it's approved for the 320 Lycoming you will be using.

Thanks - HFS

RV-3 S/N 11226 Building

Yeah the seller said the cowling was a one off, but the letters mention a type 4 cowling. I guess there was need for some mods to get it to fit? We’ll see when I get there.

HC-CY2L-1BF appears to be for the 320.

Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful of the RV-3 - my favorite handling airplane in the RV world! Always happy to help if you have problems….

One thing you might think about - the Hartzell prop is REALLY heavy for the nose of an RV-3. Many will tell you that the only appropriate prop for a -3 is a wooden fixed pitch to keep the nose light. But for those of us that like to have our cake and eat it to (speed and climb) a constant speed is really nice - you just need to find a light one. Check into the modern composite lightweights from Whirlwind (or Hartzell….but hold on to your wallet!). A standard metal Hartzell weighs about 58 lbs, and will make the airplane handle like a truck. A Whirlwind 300 weighs in at 34 lbs…much better. It’s really to bad that Whirlwind doesn’t still make (or support) the 0151 - a 26 lb three-blade C/S prop…. That was awesome!

Bottom line - don’t fall in love with that Hartzell - it might make a nice down-payment pon something far better for a -3….

Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful of the RV-3 - my favorite handling airplane in the RV world! Always happy to help if you have problems….

One thing you might think about - the Hartzell prop is REALLY heavy for the nose of an RV-3. Many will tell you that the only appropriate prop for a -3 is a wooden fixed pitch to keep the nose light. But for those of us that like to have our cake and eat it to (speed and climb) a constant speed is really nice - you just need to find a light one. Check into the modern composite lightweights from Whirlwind (or Hartzell….but hold on to your wallet!). A standard metal Hartzell weighs about 58 lbs, and will make the airplane handle like a truck. A Whirlwind 300 weighs in at 34 lbs…much better. It’s really to bad that Whirlwind doesn’t still make (or support) the 0151 - a 26 lb three-blade C/S prop…. That was awesome!

Bottom line - don’t fall in love with that Hartzell - it might make a nice down-payment pon something far better for a -3….

Thanks Paul. Unfortunately, that's really not what I want to be hearing haha. The more I dig into this kit the more I'm worried the prop is the only part worth anything. There is corrosion on many of the parts that I'm going to have to address and I just heard back from Lycoming that this engine is from 1964. I don't know if you took a peek at the borescopes I posted, but man they look rough. Mostly the pistons. It feels like it has reasonable compression though. Waiting for the EAA Technical Advisor to come take a look at it all and let me know what they think.

I would be fine with a ground adjustable. My mission will either be to go to the nicer backcountry strips, or cross country, not often both. I think I was leaning towards this one before I settled on this kit with a prop included: https://www.sensenich.com/shop/airc...o-360-ground-adjustable-high-speed-propeller/

Finished up inspection with a technical advisor and Chuck. Looks like I’ll be doing major surgery on the wing, but everyone is optimistic about doing a DIY IRAN on the engine.

I would confirm the crank, cam and lifters are good.
the crank is a big ticket if it can't be turned.
I would split the case and inspect all.
You have a way to go on the airframe before you need the engine.
I hope all is good.
mg

Back