What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quick conduit question

charlesmc

I understand having conduit on the fuselage sides. However, I see people putting conduit in where I've marked the red circles in the image below. My understanding is that this is the footwell for the backseats, so what electrical lines are coming out (or going in) right at the backseat individuals' feet? I've looked, but couldn't find specifics on what lines are being routed here.

Just wanted to understand this better before I start drilling.

Thanks

Charles

IMG_3154.jpeg

I understand having conduit on the fuselage sides. However, I see people putting conduit in where I've marked the red circles in the image below. My understanding is that this is the footwell for the backseats, so what electrical lines are coming out (or going in) right at the backseat individuals' feet? I've looked, but couldn't find specifics on what lines are being routed here.

Thanks

Charles

View attachment 54421
I have not drilled here, and I don't think I'll have to. There are alternate routings for anything that might have to go there. I didn't care for the idea of penetrating that bulkhead to begin with, and with Van's recent structural description of the loads on it from the rear wing spars, I think I'd stay away from cutting that, unless it was absolutely necessary, which it is not, as far as I understand.

Keep in mind that there are covers in front of that bulkhead that protect the flap actuation torque tube from the rear passengers' legs (and vice versa), so people are likely routing things through that bulkhead to take advantage of the cover. IMO, not necessary to penetrate that.

Thanks

Charles

View attachment 54421
Not a good idea.
I did this on two RV-10s. Three on each side and I use five.

Attachments

• 20231019_124113.jpg
    20231019_124113.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 139
  • 20231019_124048.jpg
    20231019_124048.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 138
  • 20231019_124100.jpg
    20231019_124100.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 136
Thanks for the feedback. I agree that with Van's color coding of the part that it should be left intact. I just didn't know if there was something that HAD to be routed through there.

Will stay to the sides for conduit.

I contacted Van’s about routing conduit there, and they said it was OK, as long as you don’t drill into the rear spar, which is attached to the bottom of that bulkhead. Wiring is protected by the flap tube cover, where the flap motor harness also runs.

Unfortunately, I have seen build log photos of at least one RV-10 with holes drilled right through the rear spar, both inboard and in the outboard-most area where the stock battery cable runs. That will be a pre-buy item for me if I ever buy another used kit or flying plane.

I assume you had to drill through the rear seat rib to cross over. Have any pictures? I am currently debating the rear seat rib holes vs the F-1005A holes approach.
Two conduits on each side to through the outboard seat rib. One conduit goes through the existing wire hole listed in the plans.

Carl

I assume you had to drill through the rear seat rib to cross over. Have any pictures? I am currently debating the rear seat rib holes vs the F-1005A holes approach.
I did as Carl did. I think I may have posted some pictures here or on my build site. If you search here, you should find them. I think Bill Boyd did similarly too?

Back