What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question on antenna placement

charlesmc

I've dug through older threads on antenna placement and in the older threads there are some folks that placed their COM antennas in the either the most outboard or next to most outboard bay under the rear seats and that was where I was planning mine (Location A in the image below). However, when I got the hangar today, I did a test placement of the Stein doublers that I bought and to me it looks like it would be easier to place the antennas on both outboard sides of the baggage compartment (Location B) since there is a lot more room there. I would need to trim the doublers if going into location A.

Is there something I'm missing about location B because I'd prefer to go there?

And I would push the plates outward in order to maximize the distance between the two COM antennas.

We're planning to put access plates above the step bolts, so we could reach the step bolt as well as the antenna with one access plate.

IMG_3236.jpeg

While either option would work, both require adding new access for maintenance or something simple like antenna removal for paint.

I mounted both comm antennas in the tunnel area, one forward on the left side and one aft on the right side. XPDR antenna is mounted under the co-pilot seat. ADS-b antenna is mounted aft of the baggage compartment (along with the ADS-b receiver).

The comm antenna doublers are made of 0.032“ aluminum. One side (the side next to the tunnel fore/aft bulkheads) has a goggle that goes over the bulkhead flange. On that side the doubler shares the rivets on the bulkhead flange.

Mounting the antennas like this elimates interference with the other tunnel stuff and are easily accessable.

Carl

I installed mine basically in your location B. I added access panels through the baggage floor which I wanted there anyway just in case I need to get to the step for some reason.

I've dug through older threads on antenna placement and in the older threads there are some folks that placed their COM antennas in the either the most outboard or next to most outboard bay under the rear seats and that was where I was planning mine (Location A in the image below). However, when I got the hangar today, I did a test placement of the Stein doublers that I bought and to me it looks like it would be easier to place the antennas on both outboard sides of the baggage compartment (Location B) since there is a lot more room there. I would need to trim the doublers if going into location A.

Is there something I'm missing about location B because I'd prefer to go there?

And I would push the plates outward in order to maximize the distance between the two COM antennas.

We're planning to put access plates above the step bolts, so we could reach the step bolt as well as the antenna with one access plate.

View attachment 55390
I see no issue with ‘B’ - assuming you’ve checked that if you tip the tail down until the tail tie down hits the ground you won’t hit the com antenna first

I've also been reading and thinking about some of the antenna location options. One thought I had to help maintain the require/recommended" spacing on the comm antennas is place them on the under wing access panel. I understand the coax would then need to be routed out to each wing, but it would get it about 3' outboard from the fuse.

Any thoughts on this idea/plan?

Back