What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop removal help/tools in Paine Field?

tass

I need to remove my Hartzell C/S prop so I can get to the flywheel to get magnets installed for an electronic ignition. This means removal some time this week, then re-installing about a week later once I get the flywheel finished.

I don't have the special torque wrench adapter (and don't really want to pay $200+ for one), nor a crane or load balancer.

Does anyone at Paine field have these tools which I could borrow, or done it before without the tools and be willing to help (or some combination of this)?

No crane needed.

Ok so maybe just bring a friend for some extra muscle?

I decided to have a shop replace the nose seal when it had a slight leak since I wasn’t comfortable removing the prop, and they told me it was quite easy to do and for mine a plastic garbage can is enough to rest it on after removal - no crane necessary.

Is there a video of the removal or installation process than anyone would recommend? I found nose seal replacement videos but the prop had already been removed.

Ok so maybe just bring a friend for some extra muscle?

I decided to have a shop replace the nose seal when it had a slight leak since I wasn’t comfortable removing the prop, and they told me it was quite easy to do and for mine a plastic garbage can is enough to rest it on after removal - no crane necessary.

Is there a video of the removal or installation process than anyone would recommend? I found nose seal replacement videos but the prop had already been removed.

Having a helper for the 5 critical mins when the last bolt comes out and the first bolt goes in is nice. A lot depends if you have a composite prop (like I do). I didn’t trust a plastic garbage can and used a 18 in by 18 in wooden ammo box with a moving blanket on top. The wrench makes it easy to go slowly round and round taking the prop off and putting back on. Try and keep the wrench aft of the roll pins as they are easy to get buggered up when making the first pull on the nuts. Calculate the new length of your torque wrench as extending the length with the ultimate prop wrench you’ll need to decrease the amount of torque readout your wrench needs by 15 to 25%. Many a roll pin has been messed up by not doing this. Safety wiring is a PITA but doable. Good luck !!

Back