What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pickup engine at Lycoming

NavyS3BNFO

Well Known Member
Maybe I'm being a bit to optimistic given the current status of engine orders, but.......

I live within driving distance of Lycoming in PA and was toying with the idea of picking my engine up vs. getting it delivered. (No I don't have a date yet.) I'm told that I will save on sales tax since PA doesn't charge sales tax but NJ does. I believe I will have to pay sales tax eventually but that's another story.

Has anyone else picked up their engine from Lycoming in PA? Does anyone know the crate dimensions and weight? I want to make sure I have a truck large enough. Will the kind folks at Lycoming load it into a truck for you via forklift, etc?

Plus I'm told they'll give you a tour of the plant if you arrange it ahead of time.

I don't have personal experience but the RV-14 wiki shows this picture with crate dimensions.

Attachments

• 1709654164032.png
    1709654164032.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 19
I live within driving distance of Lycoming in PA and was toying with the idea of picking my engine up vs. getting it delivered. (No I don't have a date yet.) I'm told that I will save on sales tax since PA doesn't charge sales tax but NJ does. I believe I will have to pay sales tax eventually but that's another story.
I believe Van's collects your money, not Lycoming. As such I suspect they will add the sales tax based on your state just like they do for kits.

Carl

I already checked with Vans. If I take delivery in PA, they will not collect tax.
I moved out of PA just short of seven years ago. When I moved out, Pennsylvania had a sales tax exemption in place for aircraft products. At that time, anything I purchased from Van's or any other aviation part supplier for an aircraft was tax exempt.

When I was at the Lycoming engine school, I asked if I could pick my engine up that I purchase from Van's Aircraft. At that time, I was told that they did not do that. I would recommend checking with Van's / Lycoming to see if they can handle a buyer pickup and are able to load it onto the back of a pickup truck or trailer.

Last October when I placed my order, I was told by Vans that I could pick up my engine directly from Lycoming instead of having it shipped to me in Texas. I have family that I visit in NJ and figured I'd drive up and save the shipping and defer taxes.

Pretty expensive little crate. Might be an idea to check with your vehicle insurer & see what they would cover if something were to happen on the way home.

I live 3 miles from the Lycoming Plant and picked up my 360 on the Lycoming loading dock with a pickup truck. Hassle free. Yes, I paid Vans direct and coordinated the pickup as a “will call”.
The engine was attached to a standard pallet and I believe weighed about 350 lbs.
Jim diehl 7A
Williamsport, Pa

I hauled my engine for dyno testing and made my crate with a pallet and then 2" square metal tube to hold the engine, and then wrapped it with a blanket and then plastic for weather protection. Fit fine in the bed of my truck. You could just as easily make a stand from 4x4 wood securing the lower engine mounts and prop flange, which is what I did with steel tube. I then used an engine hoist to lift out of the bed.

Knowing Lycoming has the engine already on a pallet like jdiehl experienced, it should an easy haul.

As for the insurance, I have "Builder's Risk" coverage through EAA insurance (Falcon, now Acrisure), and they cover things like transporting aircraft parts; neither my auto or home policy covers these; my homeowners directly excludes aircraft parts and I'm told that is a pretty common exclusion.
IMG_9008.jpeg

Back