What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel mount vs Remote hardware

Notso

Hi everyone, I'm finalizing my new Panel for my RV-8 and have a minor quandary on a couple of things. The gist of the install is going to be:

G3x Touch
GNX-375 GPS+ADS-B transponder
GMA-245 Comm panel (remote or panel mount)
GTR-20 or 200 Comm radio (remote or panel mount)
G5
ICOM 200 panel mount radio as a 2nd Comm unit
GMC-507 AP controller

My quandary is to whether to go with a remote GMA-245R comm/intercom system or a panel mount as well as a remote Radio (GTR-20) vs a Panel mount GTR-200.

I've got plenty of space for the 2 extra panel mounts. But it looks cleaner without. My main concern is not always having to go dig into the G3X submenus a lot to do basic stuff.

Anyone go through similar design decisions? Curious what the hive's thoughts are. Thanks!

I am going through the design process of a new G3X system right now, and had the same thoughts on the audio panel - I decided to go with the panel mount for the reasons you are concerned - it is faster and easy to use the buttons rather than digging through menus.

At least that’s my personal opinion.

I did not have enough panel space for everything I required. I decided to go with a remote transponder and control it through the G3X and when with a panel mount audio panel. Figured the audio panel is used a lot more during a flight than changing transponder codes. I am happy I set it up that way.

I am going through the design process of a new G3X system right now, and had the same thoughts on the audio panel - I decided to go with the panel mount for the reasons you are concerned - it is faster and easy to use the buttons rather than digging through menus.

At least that’s my personal opinion.

I’m still in the daydreaming phase but when I get to the planning phase, I’m thinking the same. Mounted audio panel with remote radios (GTN650 and GTR20).

Doing my 8 panel now also with the exact same avionics. I went with 2 coms and kept 1 on the panel and 1 remote. The 245 is also remote.

I'm going the other way and plan to have a remote transponder, radio, and audio panel. Mostly because I like the look better and I am going with the GTN750 and so I'm limited on space and don't like overly crowded panels. I don't think it's a big difference from a usability standpoint:

* Transponder -- you generally only set this once per flight, and the G3X GDU has the ability to set it from the main screen without digging through menus.

* Radio -- it's very quick to set the radio frequency and flip stations through the G3X. Even if I preferred the feel of a traditional radio interface, the G3X is where I would operate the radio in practice because it allows me to pull frequencies and auto tune them from nav data and it's faster to make big frequency changes when I have to do it manually.

* Audio panel -- It's very easy to switch radios and set which radio the mic is connected to from the main G3X screen. That's all I ever really use the audio panel for, especially in a two seat plane. If you need to do advance settings like play back a transmission or isolate copilot audio then you just click the "audio" button on the main screen and the audio settings come up in split screen mode. Here's a great demo

Attachments

• Panel.jpg
    Panel.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 31
Hi everyone, I'm finalizing my new Panel for my RV-8 and have a minor quandary on a couple of things. The gist of the install is going to be:

G3x Touch
G5
GMC-507 AP controller

My quandary is to whether to go with a remote GMA-245R comm/intercom system or a panel mount as well as a remote Radio (GTR-20) vs a Panel mount GTR-200.

I've got plenty of space for the 2 extra panel mounts. But it looks cleaner without. My main concern is not always having to go dig into the G3X submenus a lot to do basic stuff.

Anyone go through similar design decisions? Curious what the hive's thoughts are. Thanks!

Similar think through not long ago.

Current side-by-side project will have (symmetric) multiple GRT EFIS screens but all Garmin in the middle.

Eventually ended up with:
GMA 245
GTN 375
GTR200
GTR200

I could have had just about all of this "remote" but I like being able to reach for EXACTLY what I want and "touch" the "actual knob" without having to think about it.

This has been the same for me when using Dynon EFIS, Garmin EFIS, or GRT EFIS. Don't get me wrong ... For me, they are GREAT for when you have limited panel space and want the functionality.

Notso, post 7 shows a great video demo of the remote audio panel.. seems once you have volume and squelch set, you are good to go. Switching and monitoring are easily accessed from the main screen..

Notso, post 7 shows a great video demo of the remote audio panel.. seems once you have volume and squelch set, you are good to go. Switching and monitoring are easily accessed from the main screen..

That was a good explanation, thanks!!

G3x Touch
G5
GMC-507 AP controller

Similar think through not long ago.

Current side-by-side project (RV6A) will have (symmetric) multiple GRT EFIS screens but all Garmin in the middle.

Eventually ended up with:
GMA 245
GTN 375
GTR200
GTR200

I could have had just about all of this "remote" but I like being able to reach for EXACTLY what I want and "touch" the "actual knob" without having to think about it (where on the big screen to reach).

This has been the same for me when using Dynon EFIS, Garmin EFIS, or GRT EFIS. Don't get me wrong ... For me, they are GREAT (with remotely mounted gear) for when you have limited panel space and want the functionality.

Does anybody care about redundancy anymore or are the systems so good it is a non issue?

Back in the day, most of us “early glass” guys put in at least a steam ASI and radios where independent.

Just curious as I contemplate my panel upgrade.

I had a Ray Allen T/B as part of a “normal” 6 pack with a D10A top center, separate x ponder and radio, and a 496 should everything go black. Hand held at the ready.

Last edited:
Does anybody care about redundancy anymore or are the systems so good it is a non issue?

Back in the day, most of us “early glass” guys put in at least a steam ASI and radios where independent.

Just curious as I contemplate my panel upgrade.

I had a Ray Allen T/B as part of a “normal” 6 pack with a D10A top center, separate x ponder and radio, and a 496 should everything go black. Hand held at the ready.

Good design still includes redundancy with glass. In my case I will have two independent radios with two interfaces that can control them, two screens that can act as primary flight displays, three screens that can act as multi function displays, two screens that can control the transponder, two sources of air data for the displays, two batteries to support all electrical buses, and an independent battery to backup one of the PFDs (the G5). If that all fails then I also have my iPad and iPhone with Foreflight, and of course my eyes and ears.

My RV-14 has (among other things) a G3X Touch system plus a GTN 650 Xi. Comm #2, the audio panel, and the transponder are all remote. I put buttons on my stick to change the microphone between Comm #1 and Comm #2 and to flip-flop the frequency on the active Comm radio. When I'm hand-flying, I can change between 4 frequencies without touching anything on the panel. When I'm on autopilot, the G3X touch screen is very easy to use and I rarely touch the GTN's comm frequency controls. I would be fine without the buttons on the stick but I'm glad I have them. I love my setup. The only thing I would change if I were doing it over is to replace the GTN 650 Xi and copilot G3X screen with a GTN 750 Xi, because the copilot screen is too far away to be very useful while a 750 would put the additional MFD closer at hand.

In my six-seater, I went with an in-panel intercom, though, because I use the isolation modes a lot more to let other people chat while I'm in my sterile cockpit and because PS Engineering has one with two Bluetooth channels to deal with in-flight entertainment disagreements. In the two-seater RV, those issues don't exist and I don't miss the physical buttons at all.

In a tandem two-seater, I'd be even more prone to go with remote units because of the smaller panel. The bonus is that you will have to control them the same way from the front seat as the back, assuming you put a second G3X Touch display in the plane, making it easier to switch seats if you ever get the urge.

Back