What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Old school Avionics question

pczar3

Well Known Member
Patron
I have a question that I thought I would pose to the group of more knowledgeable people here. I have a Garmin GNC300XL with a panel mount switch/annunciator box driving an HSI-100S1. I also have a Narco MK12D with Glideslope driving an ID-825 (localizer and glide slope). I currently do not switch the HSI over to the MK12D because of complicated switching that is needed, and the Garmin won't drive the ID-825 which has a OBS Pot and not a resolver.
I was wondering if the group thought this was a suitable installation for light IFR work (getting through a thin cloud layer etc.)? I am thinking of starting my IFR training and wanted to get a feeling about this. As another backup I have a GRT MiniX-AP with the gps.

Thanks, Paul

I have a question that I thought I would pose to the group of more knowledgeable people here. I have a Garmin GNC300XL with a panel mount switch/annunciator box driving an HSI-100S1. I also have a Narco MK12D with Glideslope driving an ID-825 (localizer and glide slope). I currently do not switch the HSI over to the MK12D because of complicated switching that is needed, and the Garmin won't drive the ID-825 which has a OBS Pot and not a resolver.
I was wondering if the group thought this was a suitable installation for light IFR work (getting through a thin cloud layer etc.)? I am thinking of starting my IFR training and wanted to get a feeling about this. As another backup I have a GRT MiniX-AP with the gps.

Thanks, Paul

Sure, it's doable. Back in the bad old days, we flew IFR with less.

The gotcha with "light IFR" is that you can plan for it but you can't count on it. Same for personal minimums -- you can use PMs for flight planning, but you might have to fly lower to get down to the ground. My personal minimums are 1000/3, including en route, so that if the engine quits, I have a screaming chance of finding somewhere appropriate to land. However, I always practice flying approaches to minimums. I also practice go arounds at minimums.

As you probably know, the rules (TSO) for your 300xl require that your 12D be available and working. That said, I think they are fine for getting your rating. Once you have it, you’ll be in a position to judge for yourself if an upgrade to a wass GPS is needed, for your flying. (If your home airport, and those you frequently visit, have ILS approaches, the answer is likely no. Or, look up the minimums at those airports for LNAV (what the 300xl can do) and LPV (what a waas box can do) approaches. Are the lower LPV minimums important to you?

Go for it

I wouldn't hesitate to start IFR training with this setup. With the advice of a good instrument instructor you can then figure out what other avionics (if any) you'll want to add for the kind of flying you do.

That MiniAP is a good box. After training on steam gauges, and flying IFR on them for years, I have become a real believer in the way an EFIS (even a small EFIS) presents information. Is it actually running an autopilot? Just my personal preference, but if you don't have one, I'd add an autopilot before literally any other upgrade. I think they're basically essential for real-world single-pilot IFR flying. And they're pretty darn useful for VFR traveling. Also, one of the huge benefits of flying experimental aircraft is that autopilots for us are relatively "cheap."

Assuming you can keep the display working, those MK12Ds are great radios!!! I had one in my old Warrior. In terms of reception, transmitting, and clarity, it noticeably outperformed the comm radio in my Garmin 430. Could have been an installation issue unique to me, but I've heard other people laud the 12D.

Thanks, Paul

Thanks for the replies

Thanks everyone! The MiniX-AP does have the autopilot hooked up and functioning. The Narco MK-12D is solid and has been gone over to make sure it is up to par. I like the idea of starting the training and then deciding which way to go for equipment.

Thanks again everyone.

You'll love the rating. It adds so much to your flying, and to the utility of the aircraft. A fair number of the flights I do would be nail-biters if done under VFR but are totally zero stress when flown IFR.

And with your existing gear you'd be pretty well equipped to do the kind of IFR flying that I do.

Thanks everyone! The MiniX-AP does have the autopilot hooked up and functioning. The Narco MK-12D is solid and has been gone over to make sure it is up to par. I like the idea of starting the training and then deciding which way to go for equipment.

Thanks again everyone.

Back