What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose wheel axle bolt

Gnvflyer

I'm going through my list of things that need attention prior to my final inspection.

With my nose wheel axle bolt torqued at 10 foot pounds like the instructions say and the washer stack installed to allow the nose pant bracket to slide in as indicated on drawing C1, I've only got about a half thread showing out of the lock nut. I assume the axle bolt is AN6-60a, but my gauge only goes to 50.

Anyone else run into this?

Attachments

• IMG_20240108_091854517_compress7.jpg
    IMG_20240108_091854517_compress7.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 67
You could use a longer bolt, a thin washer or a low profile nut or a combination.
The load is primarily a shear load so it would be acceptable with a shear nut.

https://www.kitplanes.com/thats-shear-nuts/

Good luck

The washer stack is pretty much unchangeable due to the wheel pant bracket, but at this point I'm considering swapping the AN365 nut with an AN364 half height nut. A longer axle bolt would probably be much more expensive.

Is the space against the fork? Maybe just the angle, but it looks like there is a gap there.

Nose wheel axel bolt

Never a big fan of Vans nose wheel assembly. How much torque was really needed to get the nose wheel to spin freely and/or correctly? I opted for their 7A/9A nose wheel kit. The machined part is beautifully made and it eliminates the guess work in foot pounds of torque. Very satisfied with the results. Recommend you look into this.:)

If you have access to a metal lathe, you could remove a few thou from the spacers.

I measured the bolt and the length is 6 3/16", so that would suggest it's AN6-61A. AN6 long bolts are about $10.

The solid axle is a much better solution and the bolt will not flex and lock up the bearings like it can with the Van's design. Aircraft Spruce sell the Matco axle, more money to spend, that's the way it goes...

Attachments

• 20240109_084952.jpg
    20240109_084952.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Wrong bolt sent

Agreed that the slightly longer bolt is the best solution in my mind. I'm going to try a shear nut and see what it looks like. If that's not acceptable I'll spring the $10 for the -61a bolt. Maybe try the Matco axle if I have issues down the road.

Thanks everyone for all the ideas.

I ran into this as well on my -6A

Agreed that the slightly longer bolt is the best solution in my mind. I'm going to try a shear nut and see what it looks like. If that's not acceptable I'll spring the $10 for the -61a bolt. Maybe try the Matco axle if I have issues down the road.

Thanks everyone for all the ideas.

I too elected for the longer bolt.
I'll probably opt for the Matco axle later.

Daddyman
Build on my friend

Back