What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose Gear Service Bulletin

rv6ahes

I'm New Here
I just completed the Service bulletin on my 6A, I am not satisfied how it turned out. I have about 600 hours on my 6A, with minor shimmy problems. I had used gear leg Stiffener on the nose gear. After the mod I removed the stiffener and the shimmy is more than I like. I use 31 PSI in the tire and use about 20 pounds of pull on the break out force. Any good suggestions on how to make it smoother. I am about ready to replace the nose tire and install the stiffeners back. I sure wish I had my old 6 with the nose wheel in the back. Any help appreciated

I just completed the Service bulletin on my 6A, I am not satisfied how it turned out. I have about 600 hours on my 6A, with minor shimmy problems. I had used gear leg Stiffener on the nose gear. After the mod I removed the stiffener and the shimmy is more than I like. I use 31 PSI in the tire and use about 20 pounds of pull on the break out force. Any good suggestions on how to make it smoother. I am about ready to replace the nose tire and install the stiffeners back. I sure wish I had my old 6 with the nose wheel in the back. Any help appreciated

Do you know for sure that the scale you are using to measure the break out force is accurate. The pull point is meant to be perpendicular to the fork while pulling from the location of the axle. Cheap fish scales are notorious for being wrong (since they are for "fishermen" they usually read "higher " than actual).

The specified breakout force is 22 lbs...be sure that you are actually adjusting it to that.

You didn't mention if you have balanced the nose fairing. If you haven't it should help. Walt.. RV-6a just finishing up....

Back