What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New-in-box, Second-Hand, Garmin Avionics. Value Opinions needed

Freemasm

Well Known Member
Trying to limit my risk exposure.

Gonna offer to buy someone's new-in-box(s) Garmin equipment that has been sitting at the avionics shop for a couple of years. He is abandoning his Glasair project and sticking with his other certified aircraft. I can't fit the 2@ 10" 460s in my build and don't need the 3@ AP actuators; some other LRUs but I'm sticking to the big points.

Trying limit my risk. Any opinions on the value of the displays and actuators? Thinking this would be a good base for a side by side build especially a 10. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thx

These are 10” G3X touch? I’d be interested in these if you aren’t and if he’s looking to sell. Feel free to PM me to let me know the details.

These are 10” G3X touch? I’d be interested in these if you aren’t and if he’s looking to sell. Feel free to PM me to let me know the details.
He's selling the lot. Any splitting and subsequent sell would be through me.

Might be easiest to just look at what the risk/benefit is of a buyer (you or things you resell) vs going new. I've found Southeast Aerospace generally has the best overall prices. So, it's really just coming up with what the percent of new is. 65%-ish feels about right. There's definitely a risk of no warranty, a unit having a manufacturing defect etc..

For example, a new 10" GD460 is around $4300-4400. 65% seems to be that fenceline where you can see the value/not value delineation. @70%, it's $3045 and I personally think I'd just spend the extra grand and go new and play it safe. @60%, it's $2610 and that's starting to feel like I could gamble a wee bit.

Gonna offer to buy someone's new-in-box(s) Garmin equipment that has been sitting at the avionics shop for a couple of years. He is abandoning his Glasair project and sticking with his other certified aircraft. I can't fit the 2@ 10" 460s in my build and don't need the 3@ AP actuators; some other LRUs but I'm sticking to the big points.

Trying limit my risk. Any opinions on the value of the displays and actuators? Thinking this would be a good base for a side by side build especially a 10. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thx

I’d too would be interested in one of the 10” G3X touch units. Also if there are other Garmin items available ie: GTR-20, GMA-245, GTX-45R, GEA-24 along with specific connector kits I’d be interested.

Zach

I would look on eBay for past sales. Would give you a good idea for what the items are going for.

Thx to all. This started as a question in General Discussion -> was moved to Avionics/Glass Cockpit -> now in Classifieds. The basis of the question was; this deal is working backward than most where you'd buy the lot of something and sell off the minor, unwanted stuff. BTW, some things I may have forever, i.e. there's a 100 amp CB in the lot.

In the larger case here, I'm needing some of the latter. As of now, I'll probably give the owner his cash next time he's in town. For those that have already asked through the thread/conversations/phone/texts, I'll get back to you first Thx for the replies.

@ Mods. Feel free to close this one. Much thx

Back