What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N189DK RV-8 Fastback

Falcon

Doug Knab, Houston. TX N189DK RV-8 Fastback Lyc. IO-360-M1B, Hartzell Blended Foil Prop, AFS Deck EFIS, Garmin 696 GPS w/weather, Tru-Trak ADI Pilot II, Raven Inverted Oil System. First Flight 11/2009.
_MG_8259-2.jpg
_MG_8278.jpg
IMG8279A-1.jpg

_MG_8322.jpg

Last edited:
Doug,

Nice looking pane, congratulation on completely your project! I'm at the beginning stages of considering an RV8 FB for myself. Do you have any photos of the FB conversion in the build stage? What was in solved in adapting the canopy frame to the FB? Did you simply modify Van's stock kit frame?

Jeff

canopy frame RV-8 fastback

I built the canopy frame and windscreen rollbar from scratch. It was quite a project but I didn't like the way Tom Clark had done it. The canopy has dual latches and dual rear hold down pins, which makes it very secure. It's a lot more work than the showplane version but I like it.
Doug

Great Job! I like how well the canopy flows with the turtle deck. Did you make the fuselage formers as well? I'd also like to see build pics.

RV-8 fastback

The turtledeck formers were purchased from Tom Clark. I'll try to get some canopy frame build photos posted soon.
Doug

Doug,

Photos would be great. If you wish, you can also email me directly at [email protected].

Seems like Tom is no longer making FB kits, but I was able to secure one from another VAF member -- tuttle deck formers, skins, directions and a CD.

From what I understand, one can simply modify a stock Van's canopy frame or come up with something else. Sounds/looks like your solution worked out well. I like the idea of having locks on both sides rather than one. Did you also incorporate some type of quick/emergency release mechanism?

Looking forward to seeing what/how you did yours...

Jeff

Canopy

I watched the progress as Doug built the canopy. Then, being the perfectionist that he is I watched as he rebuilt the windscreen, roll bar, did a lot of engineering to get the rear hold down pins to fit perfectly and engineered the overall fit of the canopy to the frame as well as the dual forward latches. When closed it fits to the plane perfectly.

An excellent plane.

A super builder is Doug Knab.

He built this plane http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=54286&highlight=Houston and sold it when this 8 was well on it's way to completion. The current owner is selling it because he has been transfered to an oil job in remote Russia (really!). No experimental flying there.

Doug is a builder of extreme talent, outstanding ability and careful procedure.

IAH layover

George/Doug,

I'll be laying over IAH next week 22-24 Mar. Any chance to meet up and meet with hopes of viewing Doug's 8?

If so, please send an email ([email protected]) or reply to this post...

Thanks

Jeff

Well very done! :cool:

Does the canopy slide or tip to the side?

Obviously a slider. The slide track rail down the back is quite visible in the second photo.
(edit: plus the photos show exterior latch handles at the front on both sides... a side-tip would not have such)

I once got to ride in a Showplanes Super-8 Fastback, but it was built as a side-tip-over canopy like a -4.

Last edited:
Back