What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Legacy RV-12 Exhaust bulletin SB-00005 day late

Stansuski

IMG_3673.jpegIMG_3673.jpegI am going to have to perform this bulletin now as the 25 hour inspection timeframe did not suffice. This caused the original #2 pipe to break in two. I was at 4500’ and had no choice but to continue to home destination ( I did not know what had happened at the time). The break burned a hole thru the inner part of the lower cowling going to the radiator passageway. I now have a cowling that will need repair, but will be fine. In hindsight I guess I should have just replaced it sooner but with all the other bulletins I had to do and the fact that when I inspected it I saw absolutely no issues. Total time is 220 hours. I figured I would pass this along to remind any others needing this done to move it up the list , parts of course are on Backorder.
Stan.

View attachment 56191View attachment 56191I am going to have to perform this bulletin now as the 25 hour inspection timeframe did not suffice. This caused the original #2 pipe to break in two. I was at 4500’ and had no choice but to continue to home destination ( I did not know what had happened at the time). The break burned a hole thru the inner part of the lower cowling going to the radiator passageway. I now have a cowling that will need repair, but will be fine. In hindsight I guess I should have just replaced it sooner but with all the other bulletins I had to do and the fact that when I inspected it I saw absolutely no issues. Total time is 220 hours. I figured I would pass this along to remind any others needing this done to move it up the list , parts of course are on Backorder.
Stan.
One of our RV-12's here has found a cracked #2 header pipe version EXH-1202 which is listed in the SB-00005 as "Unaffected". All of these #2 pipes should be inspected regularly. I have notified Vans's Support.

IMG_4659.jpeg

One of our RV-12's here has found a cracked #2 header pipe version EXH-1202 which is listed in the SB-00005 as "Unaffected". All of these #2 pipes should be inspected regularly. I have notified Vans's Support.

View attachment 56209
Yes,this situation concerns me, I have called Van’s support to get an update on this bulletin that was supposed to only cover about 200 aircraft, nothing much from them, also they have no idea when parts will be available, (not a good feeling) , if you order an update kit be sure to also order the Kit # SB-00064 I believe to fix the update kit function, it is required but not included with the SB-00005 kit. I also checked pricing on a replacement exhaust and was floored by the cost $3500.00+-. I am beginning to think the affordability of even an RV-12 is being stretched. My fiberglass repair came out good as new so now I just sit and wait for parts and keep my fingers crossed that this will permanently fix the issue 🤷‍♂️.
Stan

I paid $380 for my SB-00005 kit in Aug 2022. Current price is $665.
I have a friend building a RV-14 , his exhaust just shipped it was $3100 plus shipping and tax. I was under the impression an RV-12 would be cheaper than a 14, guess not.
Stan

I have a friend building a RV-14 , his exhaust just shipped it was $3100 plus shipping and tax. I was under the impression an RV-12 would be cheaper than a 14, guess not.
Stan
Apples to Oranges comparison.
The Rotax system includes a muffler that is actually manufactured by Rotax.

A few thoughts…

You can ask on this Thread or on VAF Classified Thread if anyone has used exhaust stacks for sale. I did exactly that two years ago and found several to choose from.

Second thought is… most likely mode of failure was stress induced from improper alignment. The four stacks need to installed (rotated) so the muffler “cups” don’t impart side loading to any of the stacks. Difficult to put into words…. Muffler should sit loosely on all four stack ends. Adjust position of any of the stacks that are not aligned with the receptacle on the muffler.

Also, springs that attach muffler to stacks need to have sufficient tension. Carefully bend the tabs on both the muffler and stacks to provide more spring stretch. This will keep muffler integral with the stacks and reduce stress from vibration because everything is locked together.

Your stack may be able to be repaired... A certified welding shop can TIG weld thin stainless steel. The ends of the stack need to be temporarily capped and Argon shielding gas needs to flooded inside during the weld process. Perhaps an “over-sleeve” can be fitted at the weld joint. Tricky… but not impossible. I had a weld shop repair the exhaust stack that exits the muffler. Vibration caused the the stack to break loose and tear the end cap of the muffler…

I have a removed 17-1 pipe available to install,I have chose not to do that based on it also being possibly defective,I feel I was lucky as my recent new paint job wasn’t damaged by this issue as the damaged part of the cowling was in the intake tunnel for the radiator,I also am wondering why the #3 pipe has a slip joint and what effect this has on fitment/alignment of # 2 pipe and the fact that bulletin says to replace #2&3 pipes , your ideas are helpful but I will wait for correct parts, I am hoping to get some clarity from Van’s soon on how long my wait will be.
Stan

Back