What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jihostroj Install help

joew

Well Known Member
Third post in two days does not bode well.

I remove the cover to install the prop gov. I see a dark empty hole.

I don’t know any better, go to slide the gov in and the studs are too large.

Did Titan screw up my order? How do I rectify this?

Engine was ordered in 2016: IOX360-A4D1T8

The engine data plate says IOX 360-J4D1T8 (just noticed this yesterday)

Any idea what the J is for?

Ugh

Attachments

• IMG_7290.jpg
    IMG_7290.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7291.jpg
    IMG_7291.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
As for the studs, they can be fixed with a Helicoil (or equivalent), to get the proper studs. First of all, the accessory case will need to come off to install the gear. I cant tell by the pictures but there is not the oil port unless the gasket is covering it up. The whole adapter plate for the governor seems missing.

Is there a SS oil line run from the outside of the front case run around to the governor pad?

By the way its set up, I hope you don’t have a solid crank!!

Im looking at my sales invoice. I ordered a IOX360-A4D1T8. the “A” designation that I ordered- is for a constant speed prop. They shipped a -J4D1T8. Have no idea what that is. I bet Titan shipped the wrong engine

Last edited:
Looks like you’re missing the CS accessory adapter. It has a gear/shaft that connects to acc case and drives your prop gov from the acc gears. The gear line connects from front of engine to this adapter.

Here is a pic of the adapter and part of the oil line mentioned. If this and the gears are missing, it’s time to contact your engine builder and see how this can get resolved.

Attachments

• IMG_0775.jpg
    IMG_0775.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 69
Couple more pics might help

Attachments

• IMG_6558.jpeg
    IMG_6558.jpeg
    485.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6559.jpeg
    IMG_6559.jpeg
    845.5 KB · Views: 32
Im looking at my sales invoice. I ordered a IOX360-A4D1T8. the “A” designation that I ordered- is for a constant speed prop. They shipped a -J4D1T8. Have no idea what that is. I bet Titan shipped the wrong engine

I don't know what their designations are but IIRC it's the "4" that means fixed pitch prop only.. (not the letter A).. but titan may not be following that convention.. so anything is possible..

Attached is the order form. It says IOX360-A4D1T8. It defines the A as constant speed;Hollow main crank. My engine logbook and data plate shows IOX360-J4D1T8.

Under the notes it says RV7 set up for fixed pitch for conversion to CS later. So I would think it should be ready to convert, but I don’t know.

Calls are into JB as well as customer service at Titan.

Attachments

• IMG_7292.jpg
    IMG_7292.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 32
Having a hollow crank is good news. and by the looks, that's where good news end.. if it says "ready for conversion" I am reading that as it hasn't been converted yet.. and that conversion includes several things (high chance none were done..) so mounting the governor is least of your worries right now. gotta do the conversion first..

Should have front crankshaft plug for fixed pitch that titan will tell you to remove for cs setup and purchase all required adapter/lines etc. I’ve never got anything else from engine manufacturer. Engine/install shop usually set up for your specific application. Hopefully with an 8 year old engine, it was pickled to prevent internal corrosion.
Sounds like you might want to get an expert to help you out.

Governor adapter

I possibly have what you need, I changed from a rear mount (IO 360) to a front mount governor ( IO 390). Adapter not needed for front mount.

You also need to determine if the shop installed the right idler gear. This is often left out and must be there for any adapter to work on the lower right hole/boss. If not there, the accy case needs to come off to install it. Stick your mirror in there and look for gear teeth near the perimeter of the open hole.

Larry

UPDATE

After going back and fourth with Titan. I called several engine shops. Penn Yan and Poplar Grove and queried them. Both shops opined that this is something I could do (converting the engine). I had pulled the crank shaft plug and found it was hollow, and did see the gearing in the hole where the prop gov gear goes. Both shops were willing to help me.

Titan gave me a price break on the parts, (though I thought I paid for the, at the outset) and covered the shipping. All things considered, it was a win win.

Today I assembled the gov housing and gear and assembled the components. Installed it to the accessory case, and mounted the governor and the bracket.

i need to safety wire the screws and run the oil line from the front to the governor, but it’s not lining up quite right. Think I need to pull a fuel line out of the way first.

Enough for one day

progress

Attachments

• IMG_7380.jpeg
    IMG_7380.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7382.jpeg
    IMG_7382.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7387.jpeg
    IMG_7387.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7386.jpeg
    IMG_7386.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
UPDATE

After going back and fourth with Titan. I called several engine shops. Penn Yan and Poplar Grove and queried them. Both shops opined that this is something I could do (converting the engine). I had pulled the crank shaft plug and found it was hollow, and did see the gearing in the hole where the prop gov gear goes. Both shops were willing to help me.

Titan gave me a price break on the parts, (though I thought I paid for the, at the outset) and covered the shipping. All things considered, it was a win win.

Today I assembled the gov housing and gear and assembled the components. Installed it to the accessory case, and mounted the governor and the bracket.

i need to safety wire the screws and run the oil line from the front to the governor, but it’s not lining up quite right. Think I need to pull a fuel line out of the way first.

Enough for one day

progress
Did you get the SS line that runs from the governor pad to the front of the engine?

Glad its working out.

Did you get the SS line that runs from the governor pad to the front of the engine?

Glad its working out.

Glad its working out.
I did get the stainless line. It didn’t seem to fit at first, but looks like it will fit. Now I need the 14.00 lycoming bolt to hold the clamp in place up front. It’s finally coming along

Back