What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ipad for backseat display question

XQ-Driver

I'm New Here
I apologize in advance if this is a simple answer or has been addressed elsewhere. I'm muuuuch more mechanical than electronic so bear with me.

I've just bought an RV8 and it will show up Monday. I've noticed there aren't many RV8's with displays for the back seater. I fly with an ipad mini and FF and have for years in a Mooney that I sold 2 years ago.

My RV8 has a brand newly (like literally THE last one done by the factory) refurbished out the door by Garmin 430W and a panel mounted Aera 660. I have several full sized like-new ipads that are collecting dust and was wondering if there's any way to get one of the ipads to duplicated one of the screens for SA for the backseat. Maybe even using my ipad mini with FF? If so, I'll make a nice semi-permament mount for it behind my front seat.

Thanks all.

If you have ADS-B in the RV-8, you should be able to link up ForeFlight via Bluetooth so that it gives your self-loading baggage a moving map and all the data that goes with it. He/she can play with the screen without affecting your primary navigation. I'm a little confused since it sounds like you're already doing this in the Mooney. Did I miss something? Or are you wanting it to "mirror" what you're using in the front seat on another iPad? If so, that's an Apple function.

As mentioned, you can use Foreflight on the iPad in the back.

But wait, there is more!
If you have the appropriate ilevil product, you can run their software (along with FF) and with data from the AHARS in their box, have attitude displayed. With the model that has pitot and static, you can have actual airspeed and altitude. And FIRTHERMORE, if happen to have a GRT engine monitor, the ilevil box will accept that data and send it to the iPad for display by their app!

Later, i will dig up and post a picture.

And, there is supplier of mounts for the iPad mounted to the front seat of the 8. I am not at my computer at the moment and my memory fails me although I have it installed on my 8.

My RV8 has a brand newly (like literally THE last one done by the factory) refurbished out the door by Garmin 430W and a panel mounted Aera 660.
You’re going to love that shiny late model 430W (yes I’m jealous!). Simple, reliable, rugged, relatively cheap, and with ForeFlight etc. out there it’s the only thing you really need for IFR. I’m planning to soldier on with mine for yet another decade.

Wow, perfect guys! Thank you! T
If you have ADS-B in the RV-8, you should be able to link up ForeFlight via Bluetooth so that it gives your self-loading baggage a moving map and all the data that goes with it. He/she can play with the screen without affecting your primary navigation. I'm a little confused since it sounds like you're already doing this in the Mooney. Did I miss something? Or are you wanting it to "mirror" what you're using in the front seat on another iPad? If so, that's an Apple function.
The -8 does have ADS-B out with the BK KT 74. Not sure ow to link that with FF tho.
hat's exactly what I was wanting to do.
I apologize in advance if this is a simple answer or has been addressed elsewhere. I'm muuuuch more mechanical than electronic so bear with me.

I've just bought an RV8 and it will show up Monday. I've noticed there aren't many RV8's with displays for the back seater. I fly with an ipad mini and FF and have for years in a Mooney that I sold 2 years ago.

My RV8 has a brand newly (like literally THE last one done by the factory) refurbished out the door by Garmin 430W and a panel mounted Aera 660. I have several full sized like-new ipads that are collecting dust and was wondering if there's any way to get one of the ipads to duplicated one of the screens for SA for the backseat. Maybe even using my ipad mini with FF? If so, I'll make a nice semi-permament mount for it behind my front seat.

Thanks all.

Actually I never linked my IFD540 to FF. Nuts, I know now. I'm just wanting to mirror or duplicate what I'm using to give the backseater some SA. I have dug up my two older full size ipads and realized that one of them was actually my first FF load ever. The other one has a software load 9.xxxx which is to old to take FF or FF passenger. I'm in the process of updating the good one to either be my second ipad allowed on my FF subscription or I'll put FF Passenger on it. Thanks for clarifying and the ideas fellas!

As mentioned, you can use Foreflight on the iPad in the back.

But wait, there is more!
If you have the appropriate ilevil product, you can run their software (along with FF) and with data from the AHARS in their box, have attitude displayed. With the model that has pitot and static, you can have actual airspeed and altitude. And FIRTHERMORE, if happen to have a GRT engine monitor, the ilevil box will accept that data and send it to the iPad for display by their app!

Later, i will dig up and post a picture.

And, there is supplier of mounts for the iPad mounted to the front seat of the 8. I am not at my computer at the moment and my memory fails me although I have it installed on my 8.
Thank you James for the info! I'll Google up the ipad mount supplier. Cool Pic too !!

Chad Coady ('ccoady454') was making RV-8 backseat iPad mounts. See this thread:

And his post #5 with contact info:

Thank you James for the info! I'll Google up the ipad mount supplier. Cool Pic too !!
You are welcome. And as mentioned, (yes) the supplier is Chad.

While all the stuff I mentioned is far more than the OP seemed to be seeking, it shows that you can have instrumentation in the back seat without buying another EFIS.

I considered installing an EFIS but it would have required running wires for power and a serial connection from up front. AND, I already had the iPad and the iLevil and the GRT EIS.
"Look Ma! No wires!" :)

I recently saw a YouTube video where the builder made a flip down, foldable tray table from some spare aluminum and hinge material.. I can’t seem to find it, but it looked very useful for the iPad or even an inflight meal! This 3d printed thing looks good also.

I also have an iLevil product and went with a simple answer. I installed a 12v power supply on the right side passenger and put a Ram Mount tube clamp on the roll bar on the right like the one now pictured in jclark's post, an extension, and a Ram Mount iPad holder. Works fine and it was easy.

Back