What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Insurance Issues when changing from A model to TW

roadrunner20

Well Known Member
I am curious to know whether others have run into insurance issues when obtaining a quote for a RV that was converted from a tricycle gear to a tailwheel.
The last couple of years, I've been getting several questions re make/model as related to tailwheel hours.

When you do the conversion, the FAA restricts you from changing the original model type. Therefore, I still have a RV7A, but it's no longer a tricycle gear.
I declare my make/model hours along with tailwheel hours. The insurance brokers get totally confused by the numbers. I have 1300 hrs make/model, but only 750 tailwheel with the same aircraft.
I continue to explain to them, but they don't get it.

Mine was one of the first TW versions of the RV14. At the time media reports called the original nosewheel version of the 14 series a “RV14”. That caused confusion with my insurance. Despite my assuring them it was a tailwheel they insured it as a nosewheel and stated the RV14 was a nosewheel just like the 12 and 10. The following year I sent a picture of the aircraft to prove it was a tailwheel. My insurance went up $500. 😊

Mine was one of the first TW versions of the RV14. At the time media reports called the original nosewheel version of the 14 series a “RV14”. That caused confusion with my insurance. Despite my assuring them it was a tailwheel they insured it as a nosewheel and stated the RV14 was a nosewheel just like the 12 and 10. The following year I sent a picture of the aircraft to prove it was a tailwheel. My insurance went up $500. 😊
WOW that was some expensive picture
My RV-6A liability only cost me $450.00 total.
My luck varies Fixit

My liability only has been $252 from 2006 until last year, where it went up to $393.

Edit: updated actual premium amount for 2023

Last edited:
Back