What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to test Elevator Trim Motor

rdt7

Patron
I'm about to wrap up my elevator and just installed the trim motor and harness. Attaching those small wires to the pins was a b***h. I'd like to test the motor now. Can anybody walk me through how to do this? (I'm new to electronics -just ordered the SportAir workshop.)

A 9v battery is al you need, the trim will just work a bit slower.

Touch the two wires from the motor to the battery, trim goes one way. Reverse the wires and trim goes the other way.

Be sure you have the correct wires for the motor, not the position sensor.

Is it the standard Ray Allen trim motor that Van's has used for years? If so, I believe the two wires that make the motor move are both white. The position sensor wires have colored stripes. I think they're green, blue and orange, but I'm going by memory. The trim motor should have a wiring diagram with it somewhere.

Thanks, it worked but the trim deflects the tab more in one direction than the other. Is there some sort of adjustment later on?
Is it the standard Ray Allen trim motor that Van's has used for years? If so, I believe the two wires that make the motor move are both white. The position sensor wires have colored stripes. I think they're green, blue and orange, but I'm going by memory. The trim motor should have a wiring diagram with it somewhere.

Thanks, it worked but the trim deflects the tab more in one direction than the other. Is there some sort of adjustment later on?
I just did this a couple of days ago. There was a lot more trim tab down deflection (i.e. pitch up), than there was tab up deflection (pitch down). I haven't measured the angles, yet, but I suspect that is by design.

I'm about to wrap up my elevator and just installed the trim motor and harness. Attaching those small wires to the pins was a b***h. I'd like to test the motor now. Can anybody walk me through how to do this? (I'm new to electronics -just ordered the SportAir workshop.)
Would be easiest to test with the avionics and stick installed.

The differential in up versus down travel is by design. You need a lot of nose up trim with flap deployment. In cruise, little travel up or down is needed.

Back