What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to connect GHA 15

Avanza

Well Known Member
This is how I have connected the GHA 15.
It works OK.

Good luck

Attachments

• gha15.pdf
    164 KB · Views: 152
I just made a video of the GHA15 in action here

Yeap.. its the easiest install you could ask for.. power, ground, CAN HI, CAN LO.

And if its at the end of the canbus chain, activate the terminator and deactivate it on whatever was at the end of the chain before. Though I think in a lot of cases, people will be inserting it into the bus somewhere in the middle.. as the wires travel from all the instrument-panel devices.. back to the tail, where the magnetometer and possibly AHARS and autopilot servos are.

Installing GHA 15 in an RV-10

Thanks for the diagram... I just received my GHA 15 and have some questions. I am mounting it on (under) an RV-10 with full Garmin G3X system. It was recommended to put it in the tail next to the yaw servo which is the end of the can bus line. Is there any reason to move the can bus term to the GHA 15? technically it is slightly farther back in the plane than the yaw servo. I could tap the wires for power and can bus at the yaw servo connector. What size CB did you connect to? It recommends 1Amp but my servo circuit is 3 amps. Also has anyone installed the USB- Pigtail? Any thing I should know about programing it into the system.....

Thanks for the diagram... I just received my GHA 15 and have some questions. I am mounting it on (under) an RV-10 with full Garmin G3X system. It was recommended to put it in the tail next to the yaw servo which is the end of the can bus line. Is there any reason to move the can bus term to the GHA 15? technically it is slightly farther back in the plane than the yaw servo. I could tap the wires for power and can bus at the yaw servo connector. What size CB did you connect to? It recommends 1Amp but my servo circuit is 3 amps. Also has anyone installed the USB- Pigtail? Any thing I should know about programing it into the system.....

You should mount the unit as near in line with the mains as possible, you want the altitude to be based on the mains, not the tail. I installed the USB pigtail just because it was easier to do at the initial install/wiring, than do at a later date if i ever need it. I share no CB's on anything i have installed. Everything is on its own protected circuit with recommended circuit protection rating. i tapped into my roll servo can bus to keep can bus as short as possible.

You should mount the unit as near in line with the mains as possible, you want the altitude to be based on the mains, not the tail. I installed the USB pigtail just because it was easier to do at the initial install/wiring, than do at a later date if i ever need it. I share no CB's on anything i have installed. Everything is on its own protected circuit with recommended circuit protection rating. i tapped into my roll servo can bus to keep can bus as short as possible.

Thankyou for the info. I guess I will order the pigtail. If I put it under the mains it would be close to my com antennas. I presumed I could measure from the unit to the ground and program that height in for zero?

GHA 15 Flight Test

Recently installed the Garmin GHA 15. It is fantastic! Makes for the best landings ever as you bleed off speed while it is announcing "1 foot, 1foot,..."
Got me to wondering how all the altitude renditions in the plane related, so I had a friend take pictures of the radar readout, the regular altimeter, and the GPS altitude from the GTN 750xi for a takeoff and landing. Put the data into a spreadsheet. Thought it might be interesting to share. Since the radar starts and ends at zero, and the regular altimeter differs from the GPS per atmospheric conditions, I generated two sets of derivative data normalizing the radar data with either the GPS or altimeter at filed elevation. Just a bit of playing around! It's interesting to see the tight correlation on climb out, but some altimeter lag on landing.

Reinhard Metz
View attachment Radar test.pdf

Back