What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How long to build a RV10 QB kit?

If I purchase the quick build kit, what is a realistic time to completion and is it worth it? I was thinking to do my IFR on my 172 as I build , but if it is going to take longer than I want, I may just buy one, and not necessarily the RV10.
I’m considering a long flight journey around the world, so considering the Diamond twins for safety, a parachute is nice, but not for over water.

All feedback would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

If I purchase the quick build kit, what is a realistic time to completion and is it worth it? I was thinking to do my IFR on my 172 as I build , but if it is going to take longer than I want, I may just buy one, and not necessarily the RV10.
I’m considering a long flight journey around the world, so considering the Diamond twins for safety, a parachute is nice, but not for over water.

All feedback would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

There are so manly factors, most not within your control.

For example kit, engine, and avionics lead times are all over the place, some years.

If you had everything all at once and 20-30 hours per week with some help you could build it in a year. We built an RV-14 in 14 months, first time builders. But we saved up first, bought everything up front, two people.

Guessing an average build time for a QB 10, probably 3 years.

Worth it? Only you can decide that. To me, understanding everything about your airplane and being able to maintain it safely is well worth the price to admission. Also, you get to tell people you built an airplane.

Checkout the RV-14 as an option, it may check your boxes.

Last edited:
build time

For example kit, engine, and avionics lead times are all over the place, some years.

If you had everything all at once and 20-30 hours per week with some help you could build it in a year. We built an RV-14 in 14 months, first time builders. But we saved up first, bought everything up front, two people.

Worth it? Only you can decide that. To me, understanding everything about your airplane and being able to maintain it safely is well worth the price to admission. Also, you get to tell people you built an airplane.

I think 3 years for an RV-10 is on the optimistic side. Check out the many build logs that are out there. Many are well over 3000 hours to build.

As you said, there are too many variables to accurately predict the total build time. As has been said many times in the past, if you want to fly, then buy.

There are two facts, though.

It will take longer than you think.

It will cost more than you think.

Excellent advice, order everything you need in advance, your build can come to a grinding halt waiting on parts. I have found that it takes me about 30 minutes to get up to speed in my shop. Once there, it is great if you can dedicate at least several hours or more to your build. A couple of hours after work every night can easily put you in the slow build/multi-year build category. 10-20 year completions are not uncommon. My -7 QB kit took 14 months and probably 30-40 hours/ week, my -6 non QB kit completed in 1991 took 2 years. You can save considerable time farming out avionics and interior.
Get the right tools, setup your shop and have everything in place. If you have the time and dedication, realistically your QB kit can be completed in 2 years or less.

Last edited:
My 10 took 5 years, and it was all done in the basement and backyard hangar, starting with a kit that was completed to roughly the QB stage by the first owner. There was some time spent rebuilding a core IO-540. It was painted at home as well. There were no delays of note waiting on any of the parts I needed.

I built a 6A in the 90's (that took 4 years) so not an inexperienced builder, but I also had virtually no help. I think 3 years might be reasonable for a retired guy, but for a working family man, pretty optimistic.

My RV10 slow build took me 3 years and one week to build. One person, first timer, couple hours a day, sometimes Saturdays too.
Did two pauses in build due to delays with kits delivery, all together 3-4 months.

but if it is going to take longer than I want, I may just buy one, and not necessarily the RV10.
I’m considering a long flight journey around the world, so considering the Diamond twins for safety, a parachute is nice, but not for over water

Reading the OP, methinks the interest does not lie in spending countless hours, even assembling a QB, to have an RV.
But rather the lust of the capability, as a -10 should provide...

4 years for my RV-10 slow build. The build was in my 32' x 56' climate controlled workshop right behind my house. I made it a point to work every day on it with a few exceptions. Had a helper one day a week on Saturday or Sunday for a full day of work (7-8 hours).

I did SB fuselage and QB wings.

For the QB wings, there really wasn't much work. I waited until the fuselage, FWF and everything else was about 99% done before I touched the QB wings.

I had the QB wings completed and final mounted in about 4-5 weeks working a hour or two most nights and probably around around 15 hours each weekend.

I’m actually torn between the RV 14 and the RV tan. I want the ability to do acrobatics once in a while, however for seats almost required for my long-term goals. I built one plane in the 90s, a Taylorcraft BC 12 D, which was constructed from parts from three decommissioned aircraft, I redesigned the wings to carry a higher gross weight, also built a set of floats. Flew that one for eight years before requiring a 172 in 2006 which I have also heavily modified. It’s in the owner maintenance category which allows me to use experimental components, which I have done extensively on this ship.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I was thinking to hire at least one other skilled pair of hands, possibly a second. By plugging 40 hours a week, it would be possible to get it done within the year, obviously considering availability of avionics,engine and propeller. as you said, the bragging, right of saying, that you built it, more importantly, knowing the aircraft inside, and out is very important when considering being the primary maintenance mechanic.

I’m actually torn between the RV 14 and the RV tan. I want the ability to do acrobatics once in a while, however for seats almost required for my long-term goals. I built one plane in the 90s, a Taylorcraft BC 12 D, which was constructed from parts from three decommissioned aircraft, I redesigned the wings to carry a higher gross weight, also built a set of floats. Flew that one for eight years before requiring a 172 in 2006 which I have also heavily modified. It’s in the owner maintenance category which allows me to use experimental components, which I have done extensively on this ship.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I was thinking to hire at least one other skilled pair of hands, possibly a second. By plugging 40 hours a week, it would be possible to get it done within the year, obviously considering availability of avionics,engine and propeller. as you said, the bragging, right of saying, that you built it, more importantly, knowing the aircraft inside, and out is very important when considering being the primary maintenance mechanic.

There are builder assist shops than can get you down the road, biggest hurdle right now is just getting everything you need in a reasonable amount of time.

Reading the OP, methinks the interest does not lie in spending countless hours, even assembling a QB, to have an RV.
But rather the lust of the capability, as a -10 should provide...

You are correct, having built one plane plus heavily involved in a second upgrade, I understand the commitment and time which is very daunting.
Long-term goal is to do a lot of cross country flying, possibly fly around the globe, at 62 I need to be cognizant of the time, and you want to be on top of your game. It’s not about saving money, although that can never be overlooked, for me, it’s about the time. This is exactly why I’m asking the questions now, if the time to build from a quick build kit is not to long then this is a doable project, besides, I’ll need to get an IFR rating and accumulate some hours, you could work out just fine.

Interested

I am quite treated in hearing about the “owner maintenance category” which allows you to highly modify a certified aircraft (172) with experimental parts…

I am quite treated in hearing about the “owner maintenance category” which allows you to highly modify a certified aircraft (172) with experimental parts…

Owner maintenance allows noncertified components to be used as long as they were designed for aircraft. For example, I used a whirlwind carbonfiber ground adjustable propeller, earthX battery, Pmags, also replaced all steam gauges with Garmin G3X and G5 for experimental. The floats I’m using are modified Edos which are deeper by almost 1.5 inches, increases the volume to 2250 from 2000, again these cannot be used on certified aircraft. I used wing extensions and a Horton stol kit. Although these items are certified components, I saved money by buying the experimental versions. The engine I also modified. I purchased four brand new Lycoming cylinders , Installed 9.5:1 compression, pistons, ported, polished, and flow matched . I have the auto fuel STC, also installed the power flow exhaust system. Pretty sure this former 150 hp engine is now making close to 180 hp, without any additional weight. The engine runs really cool, I burn around 6.2 gallons per hour cruising 105 mph, 2400 RPM, 22 inches of manifold pressure. Nothing in the certified world comes close to my performance off the water and climb, simply because of the 100lb of weight saving, extra HP, wing , float and prop modifications.

Owner maintenance allows noncertified components to be used as long as they were designed for aircraft. For example, I used a whirlwind carbonfiber ground adjustable propeller, earthX battery, Pmags, also replaced all steam gauges with Garmin G3X and G5 for experimental. The floats I’m using are modified Edos which are deeper by almost 1.5 inches, increases the volume to 2250 from 2000, again these cannot be used on certified aircraft. I used wing extensions and a Horton stol kit. Although these items are certified components, I saved money by buying the experimental versions. The engine I also modified. I purchased four brand new Lycoming cylinders , Installed 9.5:1 compression, pistons, ported, polished, and flow matched . I have the auto fuel STC, also installed the power flow exhaust system. Pretty sure this former 150 hp engine is now making close to 180 hp, without any additional weight. The engine runs really cool, I burn around 6.2 gallons per hour cruising 105 mph, 2400 RPM, 22 inches of manifold pressure. Nothing in the certified world comes close to my performance off the water and climb, simply because of the 100lb of weight saving, extra HP, wing , float and prop modifications.

What experimental aircraft is this?

Thinking maybe this is a Canadian pilot operating under their rules?

Nope

Nope, he is saying that he LEGALLY modified a certified aircraft (172) with experimental parts. Not sure where he is located but some of the things he detailed would require STC, or 337 field approval.

I have my doubts on the legality, though, and I don’t think the FAA knows about the “owner maintenance category”. When I had my 172, it took 6 months and a 337 to install an alternator option that was already in the type certificate. While you can go to ACS and get a replacement throttle cable for the 172, it is NOT a legal replacement…

Again, I’d like to learn more about this “owner maintenance category” where you can apparently do whatever you want to certified aircraft. It would sure make it easier to own one…

My 10 took 5 years, and it was all done in the basement and backyard hangar, starting with a kit that was completed to roughly the QB stage by the first owner. There was some time spent rebuilding a core IO-540. It was painted at home as well. There were no delays of note waiting on any of the parts I needed.

I built a 6A in the 90's (that took 4 years) so not an inexperienced builder, but I also had virtually no help. I think 3 years might be reasonable for a retired guy, but for a working family man, pretty optimistic.

Very similar to my experience.

I have my doubts on the legality, though, and I don’t think the FAA knows about the “owner maintenance category”.

Again, I’d like to learn more about this “owner maintenance category” where you can apparently do whatever you want to certified aircraft. It would sure make it easier to own one…

The FAA doesn’t care what the crazy Canadians do ;)

Yup. And the FAA is well aware of it.

The "The COPA Guide to the Owner-Maintenance Category": https://copanational.org/sites/copa...ploads/2021/09/Guide-to-Owner-Maintenance.pdf

"Under the O-M Category, Aircraft Pilot/Owners are Eligible To:

• maintain an airplane
• conduct and sign for the annual inspection
• refurbish all or part of an airplane
• overhaul all or part of an airplane
• install certified and uncertified parts
• install or replace any instruments or avionics
• modify an airplane within certain limits
• rebuild an airplane that is out of service
• sign the maintenance release.

The pilot/owner pilot can do any work on an airplane or hire someone (such as an AME, amateur-
builder or anyone else) to do the work for the owner/pilot. Either an AME or the pilot/owner can then
sign the maintenance release."

And flying one in the USA:

"Flying in the USA?

The FAA has some serious issues regarding the Canadian O-M category and has been refusing
permission for Canadian O-M aircraft to operate in the USA or in any US airspace since July 2002.

COPA is encouraging US aircraft owners wishing to request a similar category be created by FAA in the
US, this may open the discussion on accepting Canadian O-M aircraft. COPA is keeping watch on this
issue, but we don’t have a solution at this time and it looks like it will not be resolved in the near
future.

The bottom line is: if you need to be able to fly your airplane outside of Canada do not put it in the O-
M category!"

Last edited:
Actual Build Time for RV-10 was 3,015 hrs

I kept careful records of my actual time in the shop working on the RV-10, and at the first fight had 3,015 hours. I was a first time builder, but had a lot of experience in a variety of other crafts. This time included the design layout and building my entire avionics system including all wiring bundles, connections, etc. for an extensive G3X system suitable for IFR (3 G3X displays, GTN 650, G5, 3-axis autopilot, etc.); an Airflow Systems air conditioning system, Interior paint but not exterior paint, and a few of the typical modifications such a plane-around 3 point door latch.

The time did not include ordering parts, reading VAF for possible modifications and practices, driving to/from my shop, etc. which probably added another 50% to total build time. I worked about 7 hrs/day, 5 days/week, so ~35 hrs/week. Took a few weeks off for vacation, holidays, etc. so this was basically my full time job after my retirement.

So figure out how many hours you can devote to the build each week, and divide 3000 by that number, and you should have a rough estimate of your number of months to build.

Is it worth the time and effort? For me this is a very positive yes. But I enjoyed building, understand every system in my aircraft, and have the aircraft I've always wanted and can proudly say that I built it.

Your mileage may differ. And I didn't have all the current issues of long lead times for kits and other parts, etc. But if you enjoy building, go for it. If you mostly want to fly, and/or only have a few hours a week to build, the I suggest you buy instead of build.

Best of luck with your decistion and way forward.

I also built post retirement, but closer to 8 hours per day and 6-7 days per week. I acquired a QB kit that had only the majority of the emp built and it only needed minor retrofitting. I outsourced nothing and even made several parts instead of purchasing. I rebuilt a core engine and did all of the interior and exterior painting, as well as all wiring and avionics from scratch, as I didn't care for the electrical kit. I even cut my own panel. This was my 2nd build. I was in the air at about 18 months. Never did the math on hours, but should be easy to compute from above. 3000 hours mentioned by others seems about right. I would use caution in taking estimates from 14 builders. I just don't see how you can expect to build a 10 in a similar timeframe.

Countless hours could have been excluded if I purchased an engine, avionics harnesses, panel work, painting, etc. So this is not a general estimate. Then again, it was a QB and that saves a lot of hours.

Last edited:
Slow build 7A

This was a seven year slow build (3,000 hrs) 7A with considerable satisfaction throughout the project. The plane was constructed with emphasis on perfection (horiz stab attachments to longerons, edge distance on aft wing spar fuselage attach point…). I maintained a philosophy that doing the job right was more important than time. The plane remains polished aluminum with basic vfr along with Foreflight that can take me about anywhere. The keep it simple strategy has worked well for me.

Slow build 7A

This was a seven year slow build (3,000 hrs) 7A with considerable satisfaction throughout the project. The plane was constructed with emphasis on perfection (horiz stab attachments to longerons, edge distance on aft wing spar fuselage attach point…). I maintained a philosophy that doing the job right was more important than time. The plane remains polished aluminum with basic vfr along with Foreflight that can take me about anywhere. The keep it simple strategy has worked well for me.

I was around 3500h over 7y. So call that 10h a week. FT job, 2 teenage kids (now). Slow build. Second RV. All primed.
Approx 800h of that would be getting to QB stage for wings and fuse.
You can probably take 500h off that for the average 10 as I spent a lot of time making various bits like interior center consoles, engine plenum, split cowl etc.
so 2000h from QB sounds about right.
Agree with not paying too much attention to 14 estimates. I worked on my cabin top and doors for maybe 18m. Never ending.

What experimental aircraft is this?

It’s not “experimental” , I’m referring to “owner maintenance” a category only available in Canada. My aircraft originally was a certified 1967 172 , placed in the owner maintenance by the previous owner. Not sure what exactly is the criteria, I believe it has to require 50% rebuild or be of a certain vintage to be able to do this redesignation. In this case the original owners struck a wing, also damaged the engine and firewall forward, the aircraft sold through the insurance company. I pasted a link below for those who would like to know more about owner maintenance, but it’s only available in Canada.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/ai...irworthiness/owner-maintenance-classification

I'm a first-time RV-10 builder (as in, first time I'm building anything - so slow in comparison to many others), and I did QB wings and SB fuselage.

I keep detailed track of my hours (and rivets). . You can check my hour log here if you're curious how long it's taking me: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...uFJBksOg0CX4SsLJl_WYyNEHU/edit#gid=1826231891

I followed the build log link, great photo and video documentation. It is exciting to watch as this brings me back to the excitement and anticipation from my first project back in the 90’s. Thanks!

I was around 3500h over 7y. So call that 10h a week. FT job, 2 teenage kids (now). Slow build. Second RV. All primed.
Approx 800h of that would be getting to QB stage for wings and fuse.
You can probably take 500h off that for the average 10 as I spent a lot of time making various bits like interior center consoles, engine plenum, split cowl etc.
so 2000h from QB sounds about right.
Agree with not paying too much attention to 14 estimates. I worked on my cabin top and doors for maybe 18m. Never ending.

Thank you for the feedback, very helpful. 👍

build time

Hi, first time builder. i am currently over 2000 hours and counting. QB wings and QB Fuselage. Getting help from a friend who build an RV7.
I don't count the hours spent on this wonderful blog and on studying stuff.
Enjoying the ride even if i am over budget (both time and money). Part shipment delays and work constraints have been a factor in
exceeding the planned time.
I think i will need a full year to complete.
If you would like to have details check my builders log.
I hope this helps.

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7aXwuVaZC

Back