What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with Garmin GMA245 and KX125

infiniteaircenter

I'm New Here
Sponsor
Hello everyone, I am desperately seeking advice on wiring issue in a RV9A. I have the following:
- Garmin GMA245 audio panel connected to:
- IFD440 GPS/NAV/COMM
- King KX125 NAV/COMM

The issue is wiring for KX125 and it stems from this one pin 7 on the unit. I am not sure where it goes and/or connects to. From the schematics, it looks like it goes to the mic jack and some say it goes to aircraft ground. But I am not sure as IFD440's Mic Ground connects to Audio Lo on the GMA245.

Initially, I had pin 7 not connected to anything and the result was: When PTT is depressed, TX is visible on both GMA245 and KX125 but no audio is heard.

Then similar to IFD440's connection, I connected both pin 6 and pin 7 together to GMA245's COMM2 Audio Lo. The result was pretty much the same but now there is tremendous amount of static heard on test radio (not KX125 but a handheld unit) when I transmit.

At this point, I am about to connect pin 7 on KX125 to aircraft ground but wanted to seek advice beforehand.

So any advice/suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you

KX125 Pins.jpg

GMA245 Pins.jpg

Connect pin 7/P100 of KX125 to pin 10/P2401 of GMA245. Use two conductor shielded cable for wires connecting to pins 7/P100 and H/P100. Ground the shield at GMA245 side only. Isolate the shield at the KX125 side.

Of cause you can connect pin 7/P100 of KX125 directly to the airframe ground, but you can create a ground loop and pick up some noise. Mic signal is weak and is amplified quite a bit, together with the noise. Chasing the source of the noise later on might ruin your day ... or two ... or three ...

On a side note:
Mic key wire does not have to be shielded, so you can use a separate wire for that, but instead of the above mentioned two wire cable I usually use three wire one and use the third wire to connect pin 8/P100 of KX125 to pin 12/P2401 of GMA245. Just to avoid of using a separate wire for mic key. Up to you.

Vik

Connect pin 7/P100 of KX125 to pin 10/P2401 of GMA245. Use two conductor shielded cable for wires connecting to pins 7/P100 and H/P100. Ground the shield at GMA245 side only. Isolate the shield at the KX125 side.

Of cause you can connect pin 7/P100 of KX125 directly to the airframe ground, but you can create a ground loop and pick up some noise. Mic signal is weak and is amplified quite a bit, together with the noise. Chasing the source of the noise later on might ruin your day ... or two ... or three ...

On a side note:
Mic key wire does not have to be shielded, so you can use a separate wire for that, but instead of the above mentioned two wire cable I usually use three wire one and use the third wire to connect pin 8/P100 of KX125 to pin 12/P2401 of GMA245. Just to avoid of using a separate wire for mic key. Up to you.

Vik
Thanks Vik! I will try that. Right now, I have it jumpered from Pin 6 to Pin 7 behind KX125 which made horrible static noise when transmitting.

On a side note:

Vik
Hi Vik,

Still not working. In the notes section for KX-125, it says to switch 2 wires. So does this mean that from GMA245 P2401 Pin 10, it should go to KX-125 P501 Pin 16?

KX125 Notes.jpg

Back