What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartzell Propeller Acquires WhirlWind Propellers

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
(In my INBOX this morning)

PIQUA, Ohio, March 13, 2024 – Hartzell Propeller (“Hartzell”), a portfolio company of Arcline Investment Management, today announced the acquisition of substantially all the assets of WhirlWind Propellers Corporation (“WhirlWind Propellers” or the “Company”), expanding Hartzell’s product portfolio into light-sport aircraft.​
Founded in 1995, WhirlWind Propellers manufactures composite constant-speed and ground-adjustable propellers for the light-sport, experimental and unmanned aircraft markets. The Company also designs proof of concept propellers for emerging applications. Hartzell Propeller plans to retain the WhirlWind brand and product offerings.​
JJ Frigge, President of Hartzell Propeller, commented, "The acquisition allows Hartzell to further expand WhirlWind's rapid propeller development capabilities for the design, tooling and manufacturing of advanced carbon composite propellers."​
Hartzell will retain the services of Jim Rust, former President of WhirlWind Propellers. Rust’s technological expertise with rapid prototyping composite propeller systems further enhances Hartzell's existing capabilities.​
Rust added, "I am excited to be part of the Hartzell Propeller team and eager to see the WhirlWind brand continue to thrive under Hartzell’s leadership."​
About Hartzell Propeller​
Hartzell Propeller is a global leader in advanced technology aircraft propeller design and manufacturing for business, commercial and government customers. With more than a century of experience, the company designs next-generation propellers with innovative blended airfoil technology and manufactures them with revolutionary machining centers, robotics and custom resin transfer molding curing stations. Hartzell Propeller is headquartered in Piqua, Ohio. For more information, visit https://hartzellprop.com.​
About Hartzell Aviation​
Hartzell Aviation is an outstanding group of firewall forward companies and products. The storied brands include Hartzell Propeller, Hartzell Aerospace Welding and Hartzell Engine Tech. For more information visit https://hartzellaviation.com..​
About Arcline Investment Management​
Arcline Investment Management is a growth-oriented private equity firm with $8.9 billion in cumulative capital commitments. Arcline seeks to invest in technology driven, meaningful to the world industrial businesses that enable a better future. For more information visit https://arcline.com.​
Company Contact:​
Jon Stoy, Hartzell Propeller​
Vice President of Sales, Support and Service​
1-800-942-7767​

It will be interesting to see what happens over time; purchasing the competition does not always end well for the purchased company...
When I was tangentially involved in M&A at a big, three-letter company, we had a saying "no small company ever got better by being bought by a big company" - there may be exceptions, but I can't think of any. I hope this one works out well for all parties, including the consumers!

Jim Rust called me last week with this news (as I was bopping around Patagonia - cell phones find you everywhere!), but I wanted the announcement to come from the company. This is great for Jim, as it gives him a chance to get his nose off the grindstone (of creating and running a company) getting a chance to just play with airplanes….but I’ll reserve judgement on how it will affect the industry and builders/owners/pilots. I will say that I am very happy to have my brand new WW-330 for the F1 sitting in a box in my shop!

Bendix king buying trutrak all over again. RIP whirlwind. I sure loved the rv200 on my previous rv6.
Readers of VAF will recall that Hartzell itself was recently acquired by an investment firm, which made no attempt to hide its goal of acquiring technologies that presented the opportunity for monopoly-like power.

Avweb
Shortly after buying Hartzell Aviation, new owner Arcline Investment Management has increased prices for parts across the board, in some cases by more than double. Arcline, a Nashville-based private equity firm, took over Hartzell in mid-November and published a new price list on Dec. 8 with some dramatic price increases. For instance, a Sky-Tec starter that used to sell for $484 without a core requirement now sells for $1,295 with a return core required, according to one shop. A propeller blade that cost $7,284 before the acquisition is now $10,964, a 51% increase. Maintenance shops have no option but to pass the increases on to customers, and some said they were concerned that competitors McCauley and MT would follow suit with price increases of their own. Hartzell did not immediately respond to AVweb phone calls and emails for comment.

I have been exploring aerobatic prop options. I've reached out to Hartzell several times - no response at all, not even a peep. Whirlwind got back to me right away and answered all my questions. I was planning on buying a Whirlwind 330 next year.

I have been exploring aerobatic prop options. I've reached out to Hartzell several times - no response at all, not even a peep. Whirlwind got back to me right away and answered all my questions. I was planning on buying a Whirlwind 330 next year.
Same thing happened to me. I filled out he forms as requested. Talked to the “right“ people. Told again to fill out the form. Never a response though they did finally give it some attention while talking at SnF. Begging someone to take my money is a big pet peeve of mine. Bought a WW330. MT would have been a second choice at that point. Will try and keep an open mind but know what to expect here.

Whirlwind has always been great to work with according to more than one or two sources (including me - I have an RV-200). I am really getting tired of big companies swallowing smaller ones - never good for the consumer, regardless of the reason. I'll stay optimistic, but if previous track records are an indication, people will feel a vacuum on their wallets when they need service or parts, or a new prop altogether.

I've watched a lot of "mergers" from the sideline, and generally the owner/President/CEO of the smaller company often just wants out, regardless of the purchaser. So when someone comes knocking with cash, it's a relief for the seller. And I can't blame them for jumping at the opportunity.

On a positive note, as Paul stated, the owner of Whirlwind can probably relax a bit, and probably deservedly so. Great products, great customer service, overall appears to be a great company. Let's hope it stays that way. Based on what has happened to Hartzell recently (after they were purchased), it is probably unlikely. At the time, I was thankful I didn't opt for a Hartzell when building, only due to the almost immediate, published price increases, "because we can". Now I'm afraid for my own wallet when I need something.

The experimental aircraft market, and most things related to it, is definitely changing. My hobby is getting way more expensive.

Reminds me of Continental buying ECI a few years ago. They might have kept a few things but most of what ECI sold disappeared. To me that was a blatant case of buying out the competition to make it go away.

I'm excited to hopefully have more options when it comes time for the 5 year check on my prop.

Bummer that McCauley didn't buy them. I know some of the McCauley guys and they could have done some really cool stuff with that platform as a jumping off point.

Begging someone to take my money is a big pet peeve of mine.
Same here. This phenomenon seems to be incredibly common, for some reason, in businesses that serve general aviation. And mergers/acquisitions don’t generally improve the situation. 🤣

I have experienced numerous buyouts by "investment groups" during my working years (manufacturing management). None - zip - zero were positive outcomes for the customers or employees.

Whirlwind has always been great to work with according to more than one or two sources (including me - I have an RV-200). I am really getting tired of big companies swallowing smaller ones - never good for the consumer, regardless of the reason. I'll stay optimistic, but if previous track records are an indication, people will feel a vacuum on their wallets when they need service or parts, or a new prop altogether.

I've watched a lot of "mergers" from the sideline, and generally the owner/President/CEO of the smaller company often just wants out, regardless of the purchaser. So when someone comes knocking with cash, it's a relief for the seller. And I can't blame them for jumping at the opportunity.

On a positive note, as Paul stated, the owner of Whirlwind can probably relax a bit, and probably deservedly so. Great products, great customer service, overall appears to be a great company. Let's hope it stays that way. Based on what has happened to Hartzell recently (after they were purchased), it is probably unlikely. At the time, I was thankful I didn't opt for a Hartzell when building, only due to the almost immediate, published price increases, "because we can". Now I'm afraid for my own wallet when I need something.

The experimental aircraft market, and most things related to it, is definitely changing. My hobby is getting way more expensive.
We all know this is not a good development for us in the consumer market. I'm sure it was very good for Mr. Rust. And we should all be happy for him.

It was an extremely wise decision, and a stroke of luck, that we ordered a spare set of blades for my plane at the time the propeller was ordered. Those blades are boxed up, stored in a closet. Hope we never need them. Cheap insurance.

Dynon purchased Advanced and that seems to be going well... I think.
Complimentary products/companies; both owned by individuals with a common goal and dedication to a market base. Not feeling the same thing here.

As someone already mentioned, this feels more like TruTrak/Bendix King -> From well respected, relatively affordable products to just another "me too" product line where customers/market are not the top priority. Hope I'm wrong but I know which way to bet.

I just pulled the trigger on a WW 300 series prop I’ve been holding off on. I wanted to make sure I got it before the price goes up. The price for the prop is the same as I was quoted a year ago, for now.

I just pulled the trigger on a WW 300 series prop I’ve been holding off on. I wanted to make sure I got it before the price goes up. The price for the prop is the same as I was quoted a year ago, for now.
I would get a confirmation of the price, in writing. With a delivery date.

As others have said, when I was shopping for a propeller I couldn't get a reply from Hartzell no matter what I tried. Im not looking forward to having to deal with them when it comes time to overhaul the whirlwind.

All such acquirements are bad for GA :( My personal opinion.
TruTrak and many others are bright examples.
Prices will go up for sure.

Reminds me of Continental buying ECI a few years ago. They might have kept a few things but most of what ECI sold disappeared. To me that was a blatant case of buying out the competition to make it go away.
Continental did the same thing to Aerosance - bought it then shut it down leaving those of us with FADEC IOF-360 with no access to parts.

I really have not heard why this merger / acquisition happened. It could be that Whirlwind was facing a decision about continuation of the business, or the owner getting tired and wanting to retire, etc. So Hartzell buying Whirlwind may have saved the business; and kept all of you in their continued care. Sometimes mergers are good things. The alternative may have been loss of another aerospace company. JMHO

Capitalism is arguably the greatest system on earth. However, it is not discriminatory. Sometimes the affects can discriminate, but it just takes $$ to play. Got enough of those, you’re in.
Hartzell made a play. Can’t blame Whirwind, or Hartzell. That’s the game.
I represented hundreds of manufacturers in my career. I also rarely, if ever, saw a company get better when aquired. I still congratulated the seller and held them harmless. That’s capitalism. That’s the game.

Come on Craig ! Get your CS props going.

CS300-3B/A-72 - $13,750 W/Spinner, 36lbs.
CS300-3B/B-77- $13,750 W/Spinner, 42lbs.

Pricing end of 2023

I was looking to replace my 2006 Catto 3-blade with the WW GA200L until Catto published an upcoming new design ground adjustable prop. Hmmm, which way to go now?

For those who are interested in the accuracy of WW's lead times, I ordered my prop and governor on March 14 and they shipped today. Now if i just had an engine...
My WW300 took about 10 days to ship from ordering. Their initial lead time prediction was two months so I was pleasantly surprised!

It was a major factor in my decision to buy a WW. A Hartzell ordered through vans has an indeterminate lead time and MT told me 45 weeks.

Back