What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN650 database update

dbaflyer

Well Known Member
I renewed my subscription and put the update onto a Garmin Supp data card
Put the card into the unit and it automatically boots into config mode. I updated the database but every time it boots config mode.
In that mode l see the software on the card matches the software installed

What’s on this card that would cause that?

Ok. Maybe at some point I put a software update on this card, not sure. Based on what the card looks like it was just a data card at one time. Is there something on the card that I can just delete? I know this card works in the GTN650 and don't want to go find another compatible card if I don't need to.

Attachments

• GarminSuppDataCard.jpg
    GarminSuppDataCard.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 25
  • GarminDataCardContents.jpg
    GarminDataCardContents.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 27
SD card containing SoftWare for the functioning (COM/NAV/GPS) of the GTN opens the Config mode. (This is not NAV-data).
I suggest you format the SD-card and check that it´s FAT32 containing NO files.
Then make a new complete download of the NAV-data from FlyGarmin.
Insert SD-card and the GTN will respond without opening the Config mode.
Then confirm you would like the NAV-data installed.

Good luck

As an experiment . . . .

Denis - the cards are regular SD cards with FAT32 format, BUT have hidden files that make them unique to the GTN650. I was able to take a new non-Garmin card, transfer the hidden files. It would load databases and upload to the 650.

I thought 2 cards came with each 650, if you have two, and one works, you might check the "bad" one and determine which hidden file has caused the issue.

Regular non-Garmin SD cards work just fine (IIRC anything thing under 32GB, I use 8GB myself and have never had an issue) and you don't need to transfer anything from the old cards to them. For database updates, when the data is written to the cards, everything the GTN needs to upload the data is included in the download (regardless whether you are using the Garmin Database Manager or the older-method directly of FlyGarmin). The same thing happens for SW updates you download directly from Garmin. And yes database and SW updates need to be on separate cards.

Garmin supplied cards

I found the easiest way to insure a "hidden" file would not mess up something was to delete all the files and use the checking the box "reinstall all databases" when I do an update worked best at least for me on my 750. Since they gave me 2 cards I use one for SW updates and the other for map updates.

Back