What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS 175 Needs Service

DanBeadle

I'm New Here
I am doing an initial install of a GPS175 in my plane. I have it in the panel and the antenna has a good view of the sky. The Loss of Integrity indicator is off and i have reasonable accuracy but I get this message.

I can’t find any reference to this message in the Installation Manual. All functions seem to be working properly, but GPS is possibly less than design accuracy. I have one connector between the GPS and it antenna

How do I get support from Garmin for Experimental GPS 175?

GARMIN GPS SUPPORT

I am doing an initial install of a GPS175 in my plane. I have it in the panel and the antenna has a good view of the sky. The Loss of Integrity indicator is off and i have reasonable accuracy but I get this message.

I can’t find any reference to this message in the Installation Manual. All functions seem to be working properly, but GPS is possibly less than design accuracy. I have one connector between the GPS and it antenna

How do I get support from Garmin for Experimental GPS 175?

GARMIN GPS SUPPORT

See page 6-8 from the Pilot's Guide. "WAAS board is reporting that it requires service."

Reach out the [email protected] for service options.

Cheers,

B

These are EXTREMELY SIMPLE to stall. Unlike the 430 530 antique gps, you can hook these up to a composite navhead like the king 209 and it plays nice, wheres with the old 430 gps you have to use a 209A navhead. When you hook it to a strait 209 you only use 9 pins on the connector, plus the 4 CONFIG MODULE pins, total of 13 pins to stall it.

BUT if you try to use it without the four CONFIG MODULE pins connected you will gwt what you are getting, that needs service message. The config module is kind of stupid, doesnt do anything but you have to have those four pins connected if you dont want the NEEDS SERVICE message. I bet you dont have the config module wired in or one of the pins got broke on stallation.

Attachments

• 20230823_170419.png
    20230823_170419.png
    309.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230823_174247.png
    20230823_174247.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 63
  • 20230823_170010.png
    20230823_170010.png
    345.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20230823_170258.png
    20230823_170258.png
    306.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
These are EXTREMELY SIMPLE to stall. Unlike the 430 530 antique gps, you can hook these up to a composite navhead like the king 209 and it plays nice, wheres with the old 430 gps you have to use a 209A navhead. When you hook it to a strait 209 you only use 9 pins on the connector, plus the 4 CONFIG MODULE pins, total of 13 pins to stall it.

BUT if you try to use it without the four CONFIG MODULE pins connected you will gwt what you are getting, that needs service message. The config module is kind of stupid, doesnt do anything but you have to have those four pins connected if you dont want the NEEDS SERVICE message. I bet you dont have the config module wired in or one of the pins got broke on stallation.

This is spot on. The most common cause of the "GPS175 Needs Service" message is an issue with the configuration module, and is almost certainly the cause of your issue. You can do a quick check to see if the unit can see the config module at all my going to the system information page and seeing if there is a system ID. A system ID of "0" means that you definitely have a pinout issue with the config module.

If you do have a system ID you can still have a config module issue, so double check that it is pinned out correctly, there are no bent pins, and that the unit is seated all the way in the tray.

If you go through all of that and still have the message I would try putting new contacts on the config module harness. Those wires are so small they often cause people problems.

Back