What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gps 175 needs service message

ERJDriver

Well Known Member
Hey all,

New dynon hdx along with a GPS 175.
I'm getting a " service gps message" .

Tried re rack, Pins aren't bent, harness was made from spruce. Config module is in.

Picks up like 10 satellites inside of a CBS hangar with the door shut.

What do you all think

Harness made from spruce is the problem. Spruce is a wonderful wood, but a very poor conductor for electrons . Avionics harnesses should be made of fine copper wires inside Telzel insulation.

Seriously though I have no idea how the magic works inside the box,but I couldn’t resist.

I’d give GARMIN a call

There is a diagnostic menu per the install manual, should give you some clues for what to look at. Go in there at startup and look for whatever doesn't have a green check. Being in a hangar can also cause that. Re-seating it in the tray a few times can also fix it.

Make sure the unit is fully seated in the tray. I had my tray set back a bit and the pins didn’t fully seat and got that message. Hopefully it is that simple…

If it is still in warranty speak to the dealer who supplied it. All dealers are supposed to provide support to experimental builders.

I've encountered a few issues with Spruce harnesses, IMO the most likely problem is with the config module if the unit operates normally, either wiring or the module was fried from static discharge.

I've encountered a few issues with Spruce harnesses, IMO the most likely problem is with the config module if the unit operates normally, either wiring or the module was fried from static discharge.
Operating normally, in system setup everything is filled out, no missing info.

Is there a way to see if the config module is fried?

I had a similar issue, it ended up being my tray was slightly recessed on my the panel, I had to slide the tray forward about a 16th of an inch and the problem went away.

Operating normally, in system setup everything is filled out, no missing info.

Is there a way to see if the config module is fried?
Not that Im aware of on that unit.
I had a similar issue, it ended up being my tray was slightly recessed on my the panel, I had to slide the tray forward about a 16th of an inch and the problem went away.
Totally agree with this and have seen this issue multiple times, the lower rack ‘lip’ needs to be flush with the outer edge of the panel.
(or the panel cutout must be large enough for the faceplate to fit thru.)

Totally agree with this and have seen this issue multiple times, the lower rack ‘lip’ needs to be flush with the outer edge of the panel.

The install manual says "flush," but should probaby say 1/32 more than flush.

I'll loosen up the bolts in the rack and see if I can get er in further

How do you know the config mod pins are making contact? 100 bucks thats your problem, either spruse screwed up the config mod harness or a wire has come off that config module, they are tiny 22 or 26 gage wire.

Back