What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GNS 430 Stuck in Test Mode

ChuckGant

Well Known Member
Gurus,
I got ahold of an old Garmin GNS 430. When I install and power it up, it is in test mode. I referenced the Garmin maintenance manual, and it says, to put the unit in test mode, ground pin J1-76. However, I can't find where that pin is or how to ground it. I'm not an electronics guy and the only manual I could find does not have detailed instructions on this procedure.

Can someone tell me how to get out of test mode so I can see if this unit is worth keeping?
Thanks,
Chuck

Edit...
I have also installed another 430 unit into the same rack, and it works perfect.

Last edited:
I referenced the Garmin maintenance manual, and it says, to put the unit in test mode, ground pin J1-76. However, I can't find where that pin is or how to ground it.

I would guess that refers to pin 76 on connector P4001, which is normally marked as "reserved" in the GNS 430 installation manual. I would make sure that nothing has been inadvertently connected to that pin, and look for bent pins generally.

Back