What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GHA15

I'm interested in it, as it might help with off-airport landings on dirt roads and such. I'm curious about what other folks report about its installation and real-world use.

It's a nice box and does what it says on the tin.

It's accurate and helps with general awareness when you are close to the ground.

RV's are pretty close to the ground when on their wheels, so my MK1 eyeballs are still doing the heavy lifting when in the flare.

As far as additional safety goes:
For IFR approaches if it says 200, and Betty isn't saying minimums its time to go missed and check your altimeter settings.
For CFIT prevention, your terrain map should be going most of the heavy lifting in any plane that supports it, if you are low enough that it's talking you are too late into the decision making process, though there are likely some night approach scenarios where it could save your bacon.

(Non RV) I'd love to have it on a float plane, for glassy water it would be a huge safety factor.

Installation was painless - 1 hole, 4 screws - power and canbus is all it needs.

I'd do it again, but I have no compelling reason to.

It's a nice box and does what it says on the tin.

It's accurate and helps with general awareness when you are close to the ground.

RV's are pretty close to the ground when on their wheels, so my MK1 eyeballs are still doing the heavy lifting when in the flare.

As far as additional safety goes:
For IFR approaches if it says 200, and Betty isn't saying minimums its time to go missed and check your altimeter settings.
For CFIT prevention, your terrain map should be going most of the heavy lifting in any plane that supports it, if you are low enough that it's talking you are too late into the decision making process, though there are likely some night approach scenarios where it could save your bacon.

(Non RV) I'd love to have it on a float plane, for glassy water it would be a huge safety factor.

Installation was painless - 1 hole, 4 screws - power and canbus is all it needs.

I'd do it again, but I have no compelling reason to.
Thanks

Back