What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTR-200 vs ICOM A220 Com Radio

gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
Thoughts. I am in the market.

Do they play nice with EFIS (push Freqs) GRT Horizon 10.1 or Dynon Skyview?

They both have standby Freq monitoring.

They both have "intercoms". (Are they VOX or PTT only intercom)

I would be happy to hear your opinions. Thanks you :D

Last edited:
I have a GTR-200 with Dynon Skyview. I can send frequencies from Dynon to GTR-200. The GTR-200 2-place intercom and VOX works fine. Overall very happy with setup. No squawks.

I have a GTR 200 in one plane and an Icom A220 in another.

Both are used with an audio panel as a second radio, so I don't use the built in
intercoms.

IMHO the Garmin is the better unit. A bit more money but easier to operate.
The squelch is harder to adjust on the Icom.

Carr

The GTR 200 has a built in stereo intercom that is as good as they come these days. The B model adds Bluetooth. I think the Icom as a mono intercom. And while the Icom has a beautiful large display it comes at the expense of having to remove the front bezel to gain access to the hex screw that keeps the unit in the tray. In the process of removing and re-installing the face plate you have to deal with a flat ribbon computer cable that has proven to be delicate to detach and insert in the field. Many folks have had to get a replacement cable from Icom or send in the whole unit in for repair after unracking the radio. Both the GTR 200(B) and A220 accept frequency tuning over the SL 40 protocol via RS232 so you can tune the standby channel just by selecting the frequency on your GPS.

I have no experience with the Icom, but I have the Garmin in a Christen Eagle and am very happy with it. The radio works well has frequency recall and memory features that work well. The intercom is the best intercom that I have ever used. The Eagle is a noisy plane and I just put the intercom on auto squelch and have never had to adjust it.

:D:D:D:D Thanks for the Info.

I suspect the Garmin is as reasonable as it is because they are competing with ICOM.

Last edited:
Back