What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GHA15 compatible with G5?

Majorpayne317641

Well Known Member
I was updating my G5s to the newest firmware and under the set up menu I noticed an option to enable radar altimeter. I spoke with Garmin at Oshkosh and my understanding of the GHA15 was I needed a G3x to make it work. Could I use it with my stand alone G5s connected to the GMU11 and GAD29? If so I’d love to try this out.

I have a GHA15 in a G3X system that includes a G5. The same data that is displayed on the GDU is also displayed on the G5. Audio capability (the biggest benefit) depends on your audio system.

I have a GHA15 in a G3X system that includes a G5. The same data that is displayed on the GDU is also displayed on the G5. Audio capability (the biggest benefit) depends on your audio system.
What does it display on the G5? I noticed the canbus is the only output from the GHA15. This tells me that unless there is an audio out feature on the G5 I won’t have any audio. I used a GMA245 comm panel.

Does it allow you to bug a RALT height?

Last edited:
What does it display on the G5?
If you have a G3X Touch system with a GHA 15 and a G5, the G5 PFD will display the same radar altitude "ground" pattern on the altitude tape as the GDU 4xx PFD, and the G5 HSI will display a radar altitude data field. That's pretty much it, it just duplicates the same basic information as the GDU PFD.

Back