What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch Software v9.32 Now Available (2/6/2024)

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Greetings VAF!

We released G3X Touch Version 9.32 to the Software Download Area today.

This release includes a few maintenance updates we have made to the display that will improve TIS-B Traffic performance to address a few problems that have been reported over the past few months. We appreciate your patience and effort in assisting us with the resolution for this problem. This software update also includes a maintenance update for GSA 28 autopilot servos that resolves a failure mode we characterized in-house which caused the autopilot to fail to engage upon pilot command in certain circumstances.

We will have standalone EAB G5 software and G3X non-touch software ready for the field in the coming days.

Upon update, please ensure all system LRU's update per the release notes included below:
  • Includes update to G5 software version 8.44
  • Includes update to GDL5x software version 2.23
  • Includes update to GSA28 software version 5.70
  • Includes update to timezone database version 35.00
  • Includes G5 boot block software version 2.40
  • Includes GAD 27 -1X software version 2.00
  • Includes GAD 27 -1X boot block software version 2.00
  • Includes GAD27 boot block software version 2.30
  • Includes GAD27 software version 2.80
  • Includes GAD29 software version 3.40
  • Includes GAD29 boot block software version 3.10
  • Includes GAD29C boot block software version 2.00
  • Includes GAD29C software version 2.10
  • Includes GEA24B boot block software version 2.00
  • Includes GEA24B software version 2.10
  • Includes GEA24 software version 3.90
  • Includes GEA24 boot block software version 2.20
  • Includes GSU25/B boot block software version 2.30
  • Includes GSU25C/D boot block software version 2.10
  • Includes GSU25/B software version 4.40
  • Includes GSU25C/D software version 2.90
  • Includes GSU73 software version 3.80
  • Includes GSU73 IGRF database version 1.04 (Base Year 2020)
  • Includes GAD13 software version 2.10
  • Includes GAD13 boot block software version 2.00
  • Includes GDL39 software version 4.91
  • Includes GI260 software version 2.90
  • Includes GI260 boot block software version 2.20
  • Includes GMA245 audio software version 2.20
  • Includes GMA245 Bluetooth software version 2.00
  • Includes GMA245 software version 3.10
  • Includes GMA245 boot block software version 2.40
  • Includes GMC507 software version 5.00
  • Includes GMC507 boot block software version 2.30
  • Includes GMU11 software version 2.20
  • Includes GMU11 boot block software version 2.10
  • Includes GPS20A software version 2.40
  • Includes GPS20A boot block software version 2.10
  • Includes GSA28 boot block software version 2.20 or 2.10 (-2X Model)
  • Includes GTR20/200 software version 3.50
  • Includes GTR20/200 boot block software version 2.40
Thanks,

Justin

Suggest holding off on this. Get an error message after update that requires reverting back to 9.31 to clear the error message

Attachments

• 5D413DE9-774A-4F97-BEB7-D7820EC5CD16.jpeg
    5D413DE9-774A-4F97-BEB7-D7820EC5CD16.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 62
Suggest holding off on this. Get an error message after update that requires reverting back to 9.31 to clear the error message
Mine updated to 9.32, but the GMC305 did not update and I receive the following message now when I boot the system (even without the SD card installed):

IMG_2855.jpeg

Mine updated to 9.32, but the GMC305 did not update and I receive the following message now when I boot the system (even without the SD card installed):

View attachment 55650
Try deleting and clearing your SD car. Download the new software version again and try the update again. I had to do this before. One thing I do now is to have 2 software SD cards. I keep the current (old) software on one SD card, then use the other for the new software. If the new software has a problem, I can delete and reload the previous one that worked as it should.

Hello All,

We re-posted v9.31 to the Software Download Center. Write this to a card, and insert it into your display. Press and hold the right hand knob on your display an then apply power. This will revert your system to the previous version. After doing so, the LRU's will update to their previous versions as well, with the exception of the G5. If you have a G5, highlight that unit in G3X Touch configuration mode, select the System Software line, and press the MENU button. This will allow you to force load G5 software back to v8.41. Please feel free to give a phone call if you would like some assistance with this step.

We'll repost v9.32 in a couple of days after we re-build the software package and correct the LRU software message.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:

View attachment 55650
Identical issue. Crazy thing is...GMC305 is not on CAN bus so software cannot be modified with an SD card. Also, 305 wasn't even listed in the change notice.

More than disappointing that sw uploads don't work. Not the first time. Customers can lose confidence in probable success. Great features have been added via software over the years and I look forward to more but feel that Beta testing and QC may be lacking.

Updated to 9.32 in two different aircraft (before 9.32 was removed). Second aircraft did not have a GMC 305 as in the previous post. Updated went well, all SW versions and boot block numbers matched, system rebooted and reported (top of screen) that sw had been updated then, 5 seconds later got the below message. Flew day VFR with no issues. Awaiting updated update.IMG_0275.jpeg

Just to add an additional data point: I updated to 9.32 and did not see the "LRU update file missing or corrupt" message that others have reported. I normally erase my SD card before loading the new software and updating. Maybe that was it.

Just to add an additional data point: I updated to 9.32 and did not see the "LRU update file missing or corrupt" message that others have reported. I normally erase my SD card before loading the new software and updating. Maybe that was it.
My SD card was a brand new Sandisk 8GB SD card -- the exact one recommended by Garmin. So I don't think the card being had anything to do with it, because mine was completely empty before I started.

Wrong guess. Good advise to erase (reformat) and start clean with a SanDisk 8GB card. I do that and got the message. Not an operator issue or Garmin would not have pulled 9.32.

I've seen several individuals state "I never update when new SW comes out". Your choice. If so... When do you? 1 week, 10 days, no posts on VAF?... Of course if everyone took this stance, it would never get tested in the field and no one would ever update. Fact is, updates go flawlessly more times than not. Thankfully Garmin continues to enhance their product through frequent "free" SW updates, Garmin can't possibly test all the different installations that the experimental world invents so, in effect, we are all Beta testers. If a problem exists it shows up soon and an updated version is available quickly. I'll suggest the "never" statement be modified to "I won't update if I have an impending need to use my airplane in the next two weeks, otherwise I'll update and report any issues to alert others" (users and Garmin).

I'll suggest the "never" statement be modified to "I won't update if I have an impending need to use my airplane in the next two weeks, otherwise I'll update and report any issues to alert others" (users and Garmin).

I am totally with that. I made the mistake of traveling 1800 miles away to pick up an RV from an avionics shop after G3X installation. When I got there I saw the software was stale so I downloaded the latest (and brand new one day old) release of he G3x software and updated the system. That was a huge mistake because that latest release broke G5 integration and caused autopilot trouble. Having not flown the install before the update, I figured it was an installer problem and spent two extra days troubleshooting before Garmin support decided it was the latest update. That was the day I decided to always stay one update level behind, at least until there was enough time to shake down any problems. Remember that we in the experimental market are the largest pool of beta testers for Garmin. Which is a great thing in the big picture. But jumping right in to the latest update should not be taken lightly if you got to fly.

Greetings VAF!

We released G3X Touch Version 9.32 to the Software Download Area today.

This release includes a few maintenance updates we have made to the display that will improve TIS-B Traffic performance to address a few problems that have been reported over the past few months. We appreciate your patience and effort in assisting us with the resolution for this problem. This software update also includes a maintenance update for GSA 28 autopilot servos that resolves a failure mode we characterized in-house which caused the autopilot to fail to engage upon pilot command in certain circumstances.

We will have standalone EAB G5 software and G3X non-touch software ready for the field in the coming days.

Upon update, please ensure all system LRU's update per the release notes included below:
  • Includes update to G5 software version 8.44
  • Includes update to GDL5x software version 2.23
  • Includes update to GSA28 software version 5.70
  • Includes update to timezone database version 35.00
  • Includes G5 boot block software version 2.40
  • Includes GAD 27 -1X software version 2.00
  • Includes GAD 27 -1X boot block software version 2.00
  • Includes GAD27 boot block software version 2.30
  • Includes GAD27 software version 2.80
  • Includes GAD29 software version 3.40
  • Includes GAD29 boot block software version 3.10
  • Includes GAD29C boot block software version 2.00
  • Includes GAD29C software version 2.10
  • Includes GEA24B boot block software version 2.00
  • Includes GEA24B software version 2.10
  • Includes GEA24 software version 3.90
  • Includes GEA24 boot block software version 2.20
  • Includes GSU25/B boot block software version 2.30
  • Includes GSU25C/D boot block software version 2.10
  • Includes GSU25/B software version 4.40
  • Includes GSU25C/D software version 2.90
  • Includes GSU73 software version 3.80
  • Includes GSU73 IGRF database version 1.04 (Base Year 2020)
  • Includes GAD13 software version 2.10
  • Includes GAD13 boot block software version 2.00
  • Includes GDL39 software version 4.91
  • Includes GI260 software version 2.90
  • Includes GI260 boot block software version 2.20
  • Includes GMA245 audio software version 2.20
  • Includes GMA245 Bluetooth software version 2.00
  • Includes GMA245 software version 3.10
  • Includes GMA245 boot block software version 2.40
  • Includes GMC507 software version 5.00
  • Includes GMC507 boot block software version 2.30
  • Includes GMU11 software version 2.20
  • Includes GMU11 boot block software version 2.10
  • Includes GPS20A software version 2.40
  • Includes GPS20A boot block software version 2.10
  • Includes GSA28 boot block software version 2.20 or 2.10 (-2X Model)
  • Includes GTR20/200 software version 3.50
  • Includes GTR20/200 boot block software version 2.40
Thanks,

Justin
Hi g3xpert,

In this bundle of SW updates, I found a transponder update (GTX 3X5/X5R (w/PC tool), SB 24005A software version 2.85)

Does this update address the "(2024) Service Advisory 23033 Rev B: ADS-B In Surface Targets" ?

Wrong guess. Good advise to erase (reformat) and start clean with a SanDisk 8GB card. I do that and got the message. Not an operator issue or Garmin would not have pulled 9.32.

I've seen several individuals state "I never update when new SW comes out". Your choice. If so... When do you? 1 week, 10 days, no posts on VAF?... Of course if everyone took this stance, it would never get tested in the field and no one would ever update. Fact is, updates go flawlessly more times than not. Thankfully Garmin continues to enhance their product through frequent "free" SW updates, Garmin can't possibly test all the different installations that the experimental world invents so, in effect, we are all Beta testers. If a problem exists it shows up soon and an updated version is available quickly. I'll suggest the "never" statement be modified to "I won't update if I have an impending need to use my airplane in the next two weeks, otherwise I'll update and report any issues to alert others" (users and Garmin).
Aaaaaand I was wrong. I finally got the "LRU update file missing or corrupt" message the next time I booted the system.

I've seen several individuals state "I never update when new SW comes out". Your choice. If so... When do you? 1 week, 10 days, no posts on VAF?
Based on past experience, I usually wait at least two months, and also try to make sure any snafus identified/discussed on VAF have been resolved. So far this has worked out okay.

Good Afternoon,

We loaded v9.33 to the Software Download Center.

As long as the GMC 305 or 307 appears normal in configuration mode, the system is working normally.

Please let us know if there are any further questions that come up!

Thanks,

Justin

Good Afternoon,

As long as the GMC 305 or 307 appears normal in configuration mode, the system is working normally.

Thanks,

Justin
Thanks G3X team!!!

Never volunteer for anything. I am loitering around the gang plank hoping somebody walks it so I can watch and see what happens.

Loaded 9.33. Normally if I don't get any messages indicating an issue or red X's don't do added digging. A/P seems to function correctly (In the hangar). Coms and GPS seem to function ok. I'm getting COM1 and 2, audio and GPS failed to load, see pic. Also, magnetometer and OAT are enabled but grayed out and both seem operational. (See pics) Going to fly tomorrow and shoot a few practice approaches. Issue?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-27 193123.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-27 193123.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot 2024-02-27 193032.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-27 193032.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot 2024-02-27 192922.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-27 192922.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot 2024-02-27 192822.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-27 192822.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 68
I'm getting COM1 and 2, audio and GPS failed to load, see pic. Also, magnetometer and OAT are enabled but grayed out and both seem operational.
Not "failed to load" but "not communicating".

Your screenshot of the LRU configuration page is completely normal.

Not "failed to load" but "not communicating".

Your screenshot of the LRU configuration page is completely normal.
New software installed screen Com 1 and 2 shows "failed". (My second Com is in the GTN) Never had this before. Is this an issue, and if so how to resolve it?

Thanks for the LRU configuration page question.

New software installed screen Com 1 and 2 shows "failed". (My second Com is in the GTN) Never had this before. Is this an issue, and if so how to resolve it?

Thanks for the LRU configuration page question.
Could it be something as simple as the avionics bus is not turned on?

Could it be something as simple as the avionics bus is not turned on?
Yes, absolutely correct. I always do the update with my GTN turned off and don't believe I have seen this effect before. My audio panel is also connected to this breaker on the VPX so it shows the same failure mode. What got me fixated was the screen that said New Software Installed and "Failed" but as Matt pointed out has several meanings. I don't think I've seen this screen before after an update, but it's been a few months and don't remember what I had for dinner last night either. Once I turn on the GTN along with the audio panel I get current software updates for both COMS, GTN GPS and audio panel.

After an update I like to perform a test flight and fly an approach along with testing if everything is working ok. Did that today. After I took off a had a TRIM message in red and started to troubleshoot (Both the G3X and G5). Went to a number of screens and nothing obvious except RTRIM and PTRIM came up (Which I don't think I've seen either before) with no check marks. Could not figure out how to disable these if that is even the problem. Autotrim works fine. Doing a search for PTRIM and RTRIM in both the install and pilot handbook does not get a hit. Before I contact Garmin support thought I would document here. I'll post the result if nobody has an idea. VPX is controlling pitch and roll, FYI.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-28 172832.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 172832.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot 2024-02-28 172947.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 172947.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 29
Check your TRIM (Roll and Pitch) settings in the G3X Touch PFD, Verify that the ROLL and PITCH servos are configured correctly. Typical RV installations don't use GSA 28's as pitch or roll TRIM servos, just as pitch & roll. See attached page from install manual.

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 5.53.29 PM.png

Check your TRIM (Roll and Pitch) settings in the G3X Touch PFD, Verify that the ROLL and PITCH servos are configured correctly. Typical RV installations don't use GSA 28's as pitch or roll TRIM servos, just as pitch & roll. See attached page from install manual.

View attachment 57154
Thanks, found this from Justin and Walt. How did these get enabled, yes I know it's complicated. Saw this and did not want to disable a trim motor, seems I need to now.

Good Morning,

Walt is correct here. Power on the display in configuration mode, touch LRU and disable any trim servos you have enabled. These settings are used to enable a GSA 28 servo as a trim motor.

Thanks,

Justin

This isn't the first time I've seen settings "magically change" across an update of the G3X Software. The GTN stack also seems to suffer from this issue -- however all the docs are pretty explicit about saving your settings before an update, yaddah yaddah...

[shrug]

Also make sure your "Analog Autopilot Interface" and "Electrical Control System" do not change in the LRU Configuration page. If they do change you will get a CAS message and that should prompt one to change back before you fly. The trim light did not show up until I took off (possibly because the A/P was off?) and did not affect the performance of the system at all. Overall, a minor inconvenience to a very technological advanced system.

Curious if the LRU versions are different in 9.33 from the original post by g3xpert about 9.32 and if anyone has that list before I apply the update? Thanks.

Curious if the LRU versions are different in 9.33 from the original post by g3xpert about 9.32 and if anyone has that list before I apply the update? Thanks.
I don't see any differences between the change list for version 9.33 posted on the Garmin website, and the change list for version 9.32 in the first post of this thread.

Thank you. Thank you

You seemed to have fix my bad ways.
Previously when pfd was in split screen, and i had approach chart on right side, i would invariably hit the scroll knob, make the approach chart go away, and be unable to quickly restore chart.

Now, with this update, the knobs just cause zoom in and out, my fat fingers cant make the chart seemily randomly disappear. Much better.

Thank you. Thank you

You seemed to have fix my bad ways.
Previously when pfd was in split screen, and i had approach chart on right side, i would invariably hit the scroll knob, make the approach chart go away, and be unable to quickly restore chart.

Now, with this update, the knobs just cause zoom in and out, my fat fingers cant make the chart seemily randomly disappear. Much better.
I believe knob behavior is a configurable option — I wonder what other configurable options were updated, either intentionally or not, by this software update.

Good Afternoon,

Thanks,

Justin
I I just uploaded the latest software only to get an error on gmc 305 could not a check mark on it, any ideas ? Txs

I just updated tonight. Did not see any errors but also have no check mark on the gmc305. It works on the ground. AP engagement. AP disconnect. Level button.

Attachments

• IMG_4467.jpeg
    IMG_4467.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4466.jpeg
    IMG_4466.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 26
Back