What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3x autopilot

afii58

So was trying to fine tune the pitch servo settings on my RV8...put in a very aggressive gain setting...selected a heading, was holding altitude in turn but when rolled out stick started oscillating. I have a autopilot on/off switch on panel and switched it off. Next flight i decided to start from scratch on the settings and resetted them to default. In flight noticed I had red x out AP , could not turn on AP with switch or g3x AP menu. On ground in device list on g3x under roll and pitch, the gsu 28's are gone, and shows a " communication fault " in g3x AP diagnostic page.
Called Garmin, turns out those gsu28 are on a SB and they are going to replace them , but they said it sounds like a wiring problem.
Here are the questions...anybody have something like this happen?
Is the autopilot on/off switch a relay switch from servo to g3x or a servo power on switch (had a 3rd party install autopilot. )Trying to figure if bad switch, but even if it was, the g3x device list should still list gsu 28?
When I took out servos yesterday didn't think of powering up plane and resetting servo Canon plugs.
Bragg Avionics out of Craig Field Jacksonville came out to look at it, they seems to think the g3x needs to be reprogrammed to read the autopilot servos but going to wait on new servos coming in 1st.
Any thoughts, Garmin phone help couldn't figure it out, told them it's probably going to cost me a couple of hundred dollars to reprogram it, they said to have Avionics guy call them.
Thanks in advance for any help

There is no AP switch shown on the Garmin interconnect diagrams - download the G3X Touch installation manual and look at Chapter 24. But many builders use such a switch, it would usually switch power to the GSA 28s and GMC507, no need for a relay as the power involved is relatively low. If the GSU28s are not showing up on the device list it may mean the power switch is broken. Check power is reaching each servo. Do you get an AFCS caption of the G3X?

Back