What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank leak repair

BrianG123

I'm New Here
So I got a set of project wings that were built about to qb stage. I have been finishing them up and pressure tested the tank today. It has one blowing bubbles. I read the article by Mr. Dye in Kitplanes about replacing the leaking one with a pulled solid rivet and am thinking of doing that with mine. The article said there wasn't a countersunk rivet like that at the time. I see an ak42h solid pull countersunk rivet that is 120 degree, wondering if that might work or if modifying the dome head rivet would be better?

Attachments

• IMG_20240311_183818159.jpg
    IMG_20240311_183818159.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 50
If you will search "Fixing a leaking rivet on fuel tank" and then look at post #18, you'll see that I make sealed, pulled oops rivets for just this purpose. Through my cold working process, the included angle under the head goes from 120* to 100*, providing a much better sealing aspect, when both dimple and rivet are 100*.

If you would like to try one (or two) just get in touch with me ...

HFS

If you will search "Fixing a leaking rivet on fuel tank" and then look at post #18, you'll see that I make sealed, pulled oops rivets for just this purpose. Through my cold working process, the included angle under the head goes from 120* to 100*, providing a much better sealing aspect, when both dimple and rivet are 100*.

If you would like to try one (or two) just get in touch with me ...

HFS
Exactly what HFS says. I used his rivets that he kindly sent to me to fix a friends RH fuel tank on his RV4. Worked perfectly, thanks to the kindness of HFS.

Back