What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Formation Safety - Back to Basics

Kevin Horton

Well Known Member
This post is triggered by Steve Raddatz's accident, but it is not meant to be a comment on the abilities or professionalism of either of the pilots, not is it intended to be speculation on the exact cause of the accident.

There are a large number of RVers who really enjoy flying in formation. I fully understand that, as it is a very enjoyable way to challenge your skills to get ever better. Done properly, it can be quite safe. Done improperly, it can be extremely dangerous.

Every formation flight should start with a detailed formation briefing, following a checklist of items that need to be agreed and understood by all in the formation. Lost sight procedures should be discussed during every formation brief. The greater the number of aircraft, and the greater the complexity of the planned manoeuvres, the more complicated the lost sight procedures become. But the basic procedure remains the same. Each pilot has specified responsibilities. In a two ship, the wingman is responsible to keep lead in sight. If number two loses sight of lead, he must pull hard away from lead's last known position, and immediately broadcast that he has lost sight. Lead must immediately establish straight and level flight, and broadcast his altitude. Number two establishes adequate altitude separation (how much that is should be agreed in the briefing), and then the two pilots can start to discuss exactly where each of them are, which way they are headed, and how they will get back in the same area. They must maintain altitude separation until they have each other in sight, then they can do a rejoin. Altitude separation guarantees no risk of collision with each other. Of course there are other aircraft in the sky, so keep that head on a swivel.

We should honour Steve's memory by reflecting on how we fly formation. Have we gotten lazy, and cut a few corners? Have we skipped a few formation briefs, because we always fly with the same guys? Let's get back to basics, and focus on how to do things properly, and safely. Do it for your wife and children. Do it for Steve.

Anyone who flies formation should undergo period training with a recognized formation training organization. Always do a good formation brief. Use a formation brief checklist, so you don't forget a point. Fly the formation as briefed. After landing, have a debrief, so you can identify and learn from things that went well, and things that went less well.

Fly safe. Have fun.

Anyone who flies formation should undergo period training with a recognized formation training organization. Always do a good formation brief. Use a formation brief checklist, so you don't forget a point. Fly the formation as briefed. After landing, have a debrief, so you can identify and learn from things that went well, and things that went less well.

Fly safe. Have fun.

Excellent post, Kevin. Impromptu attempts to join up in formation with another aircraft can have very bad outcomes.

Let's renew our emphasis on safety in all aspects of our wonderful hobby.

I agree 100% Kevin - great topic!

Formation flying is a great skill-builder, and also extremely unforgiving of error. I am always concerned that it looks easier (to an observer) than it is - tempts people to try it without understanding it. It is not a casual undertaking!

Paul

I was a T-37 IP in the Air Force. We introduced and taught basic formation flying. You can read about it until your eyes bleed. Brief it until your ears bleed. Think about it until your brain bleeds. All those efforts will give you 5% of what you need to go do it safely. The other 95% comes from dual instruction.

I was a T-37 IP in the Air Force. We introduced and taught basic formation flying. You can read about it until your eyes bleed. Brief it until your ears bleed. Think about it until your brain bleeds. All those efforts will give you 5% of what you need to go do it safely. The other 95% comes from dual instruction.

And Practice once you are qualified. It is definitely a perishable skill.

Fly safe.

Formation flight

First, even though I flew 2 century series aircrraft in 3 Fighter Squadrons the best formation pilot I ever flew with was a general aviatio,n pilot. So that being said the Brief is important and preferably the lead should have some formation experience. Finally I would discourage dissimilar aircraft. Even to the point of one aircraft with constant speed prop and other or others not. I was number 3 in a RV, 4 ship with no 1 and no 2 constant sleed and me and no 4 fixed pitch. Lead pulled power fo descent and suddenly we had 2 2ship flights. Roger Moore

Formation Flying

As stated in the FARs, any pilot planning to fly closer than 500' to another aircraft must BRIEF IT FIRST. Impromptu joinups are improper unless briefed and agreed to on the radio.

Formation training is paramount in safe formation flying. First being knowledgable in the procedures, techniques, and terminology, then being trained in proper aircraft handling of stick and throttle in close formation. There are many formation clinics around the country where this knowledge and training are offered.

For formation procedures in the RV, download the RV Supplement to the T-34 Formation Flight Manual in the FAQ/Download section of VAF site.

There is a Texas Formation Clinic being conducted at Brownwood, 12-14 June. Info can be found on the calendar events portion on VAF site.

If one wants to formalize their formation training, and have their insurance company recognize it, it's a good idea to be F.A.S.T. rated (www.flyfast.org).

Since there is only one civilian type class in FAST (the Globe Swift), our local formation group has been rated by the SFC(http://www.napanet.net/~arbeau/swift/sfc.htm).

It's a bit unusual for an RV Team to be SFC rated, but the desired objective is obtained, and it's the right foundation for more type-specific training.

Highly recommended.

formation flight complaints

I'm doing an article.
1. legal complaints about formation flight in congested areas (someone says that a formation/gaggle over the everglades is unsafe)
2. what is congested area defined
3. is a loose gaggle/formation truly a formation
4. are photos taken from the ground admissable

I'm doing an article.
1. legal complaints about formation flight in congested areas (someone says that a formation/gaggle over the everglades is unsafe)
2. what is congested area defined
3. is a loose gaggle/formation truly a formation
4. are photos taken from the ground admissable

Ok Ill bite.
1. You have 3 different all unrelated items that can not be addressed together. Formation safety has nothing to do with whats under you. Legal complaints? I dont know what that is. Formation and congestion are not related either in a regulatory fashion, or in the formation flight it self.
2. A congested area is what ever the ruling FAA atty says it is and what ever you are willing to defend in a case. While there is much case law on the matter, the regs are weak and the case law is all over the place. It is what ever the inspector talks the atty into saying it is. And i can tell you from first hand experience, a remote uncontrolled airport with nothing for miles has been deemed congested in the cases. Some have won, some have lost.
3. In whos mind? The flights mind? The FAA's mind? While the FAA has used <500' as a litmus test for formation. Other circumstances are considered. There are countless times and circumstances you are <500' apart and are not considered a formation from the FAA. If a flight is acting like a formation and they are further apart than 500', then they are in fact in formation. In terms of acting, the circumstances of the flight, the intentions of the pilots, and other tangental information(squawks, briefings, communications, etc.) can be used to determine if the gaggle is in fact a flight or not.
4. Absolutely.

I would add that I could easily come up with lots of circumstances where a formation flight over any space, including the everglades, could be unsafe. The safely of the flight has nothing to do with the ground below. Ill bet there have been many unsafe gaggles over the everglades, and countless other locations. The question of safety has everthing to do with the training, attitude, and dicipline of the flight, and nothing to do with swamp below.

Best,

Last edited:
Back